Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild Nettle Cordial  (Read 39235 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Wild Nettle Cordial
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2014, 05:15:57 pm »
I made double the recipe and put in three quarters of the amount of sugar but I still find it too sweet - I did it with lemons/juice though not citric acid so next time I'll try the citric acid instead.  I can sense there is a better version (for my taste) if I adapt the recipe a bit, trial and error.

Does anyone know if you can just make the syrup (the sugar, water and citric acid) with any other thing such as elderflowers or some other flowers / leaves?  Basic recipe + whatever, if you know what I mean?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2014, 05:19:12 pm »
I make lemonade to a very similar formula, and there is an elderflower cordial recipe on here somewhere, which is similar.  I think if you add more citric acid and less sugar, it may need less to make a drink up, but may not keep as well.  I tend to freeze the syrup until I need it now.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2014, 09:54:49 pm »
I made double the recipe and put in three quarters of the amount of sugar but I still find it too sweet - I did it with lemons/juice though not citric acid so next time I'll try the citric acid instead.  I can sense there is a better version (for my taste) if I adapt the recipe a bit, trial and error.

Does anyone know if you can just make the syrup (the sugar, water and citric acid) with any other thing such as elderflowers or some other flowers / leaves?  Basic recipe + whatever, if you know what I mean?
blackcurrant leaves apparently?.....
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2014, 11:06:12 am »
I'll give that a try - my OH uses the fruit for wine making, I'll try the soft option for me and the kiddies!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HappyHippy

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2014, 05:59:39 pm »

Yes  ;)
I made gooseberry and ginger using the same base recipe.
I found it too sweet with the full sugar content (even using citric acid) but knocked it back a bit without issue.
Do you find it too sweet even diluted? I only use a little when mixing it because it goes a LONG way  :innocent:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2014, 09:15:08 pm »
Yes, but I don't have a sweet tooth generally.  It does make me want to try other recipe variations though, esp over the hols with the kiddies who still enjoy a good mixing and messing session.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS