Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chicken stock  (Read 4571 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
chicken stock
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:03:02 am »
The background for this is that I was bought up by my Grandmother, who had a single persons pension and family allowance.... so things weretight.  When we had chicken, it went through various stews, pies and soups.  As a result when I cook a chicken, by the time I've finished there is a handful of bones left... that's all. and I mean a handful.

when I look at the pictures of people making chicken stock, it seems to have half the chicken still on it!  I eat the skin (my favourite part) so there isn't a lot left.  Certainly, the sad small pile of Neolithic finds doesn't resemble the quality chicken carcass in the Jamie Oliver picture!

Question is, how much chicken do you need to make a decent chicken stock?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: chicken stock
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:02:47 am »
When I take as much meat off as possible I put the carsus into a slow cooker with bits on it that you would probably eat, but then water of course to cover and I add stuff like celery, onion, carrot and any other root veg and seasoning. I leave it for ages then cool it off and the bits all fall off the bone that you can either eat in somethng like a curry or pie and then the bones get drained and fished out and I blitz it all in the blender, the meat is still all used but the flavor is  better, although some times I leave meat in too...it all depends but I do not like skin!!
I used my slow cooker for all sorts and find I get loads of stock easily.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:19:54 am »
Our roast chicken carcasses are picked clean before making stock, but I include a lot of the skin in the stock pot. This is how I do it:

Add an onion (halved) and a couple of carrots (halved), couple of bay leaves, black pepper. 4-5 pints of water, simmer for 3 hours. Cool, stick in the fridge overnight, skim the fat off the top and freeze.

HTH.  :)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:37:08 am »
I LOVE my slow cooker!!! I'll try that with the poor toothpicks I've got left now! 

I use my cast iron casserole pan to roast in and I fine the chicken... well disintegrates almost, I leave it in there with the lid on to cool and absorbs the moisture.  Really, there is NO  meat on the bones of my chicken... my bones are another matter ;)

Typical TAS, I popped in to make a quick cup of coffee which stone picking and I just HAD to check....

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 10:44:08 am »
 :wave: , I wish I had bought a slow cooker years ago, it saves things in a  big pan burning on the bottom too.......I now make huge curries in mine and its far less time consuming, that way I can spend more time surfing :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 10:48:06 am »
Sandy,
I rarely use my slow cooker but wil give this a go next time I have chicken.
thanks
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:20:52 am »
I use ours a lot more as we tend to get a glut of veg on my famous 10p deals, that way I can come home and stick them in the pot and then freeze, not that wonderful at labeling stuff and got a box of what I thought lovely stewed plumbs and apples with Cinnamon, but when defrosted turned out to be stewed veg!!  :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 11:23:03 am »
not that wonderful at labeling stuff and got a box of what I thought lovely stewed plumbs and apples with Cinnamon, but when defrosted turned out to be stewed veg!!  :innocent:
Sandy, I used to be the same but bought some good freezer labels on-line that stay put. So most of my things have a label on the now. It definitely makes life much easier
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 11:48:25 am »

" Question is, how much chicken do you need to make a decent chicken stock? "

The answer, as always, is 'it depends'  ;D .  It depends on how flavoursome you want your stock to be, how much you expect to get from one carcase, if you are happy for most of the flavour to come from the added veg or you want it to taste of chicken.....and so on.

Unless you have already cracked the bones and sucked out the marrow, there will be some of that to give flavour to your stock, but otherwise bare bones really aren't going to contribute much.

Apparently during the Second World War, cookery advice was given out over the radio, as with the 'dig for victory' info.  My MiL picked up the tip of making the stock before she roasted the chicken, and she carried on doing that forever.  My goodness it was disgusting  :roflanim:   The 'soup' itself was like water with a few rice grains added, and the bird after a brief visit to the oven was rubbery, slimy and tasteless.  Even now my OH doesn't list roast chicken amongst his favourite meals and won't eat chicken soup at all.

I think you can take economy too far.   I much prefer using a couple of rashers of fried bacon as the basis for my soups  :pig: :pig:   :hungry:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:00:12 pm »
Forget about making soup with the bones of one carcass if there is no skin or meat left.  However If you freeze each batch of bones, i am sure you once you have enough you will get a nice clear stock, certainly not fatty which can be the case when using the skin.

I'm all for using everything, if the chicken was good enough to give up its life for consumption we should at least use it all

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 09:19:43 pm »
Every time we have chicken we get seven meals out of it - usually four roast meals and three portions of something else - pies or curry mainly - so the carcass is pretty picked clean. I make about a litre of stock in the slow cooker.

The bones then go in the bottom of the oven with the egg shells and they get baked a bit every time we use the oven.

When they are brittle brittle I put them through my little grinding mill and grind them to powder which I then put in the chicken grit or on the compost heap.

I use 500ml of the stock to make gravy the next time..... and so it goes on. When I have accumulated a couple of litres of stock I use it to make the base for soup.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS