Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: eggs  (Read 5898 times)

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
eggs
« on: May 08, 2013, 09:50:09 pm »
i have just got another plot of land on the allotment which i am getting ready for chickens can i feed eggs left over to the pigs i can cook them on site if needed not sure what the law is with my own pigs

not planning on eating them they are pets

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:30:54 pm »
This has been discussed a few times.
 From memory the consensus is yes as long as you do not take them into your kitchen first - some would also say no if the eggs are a product that you aime to sell. No problem of course if the chicken lays an egg amongst the pigs and they then eat them.
Every day my chickens lay 3 eggs ( always the big ones) in the pigs field. The pigs find them and carry them into their indoor sty to crack them and then eat them with their morning feed. Good protein for the 3 young GOS and low cost to me  :excited:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:49:46 pm »
No you can't feed pigs eggs.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 07:36:51 am »
As BB says, sorry this is illegal

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:56:45 am »
There are lots of things that you're not supposed to feed to your pigs. :innocent:  If you're caught out, then a plea based on common sense wont save you. Thanks to unscrupulous practices, our well looked after piggies are lumbered with the same rules and regulations that the bad boys are.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:59:59 pm »
Hang on - if the pigs are not to be moved off your land, have no contact with other animals, are home killed and butchered by you then yes if they find an egg, slug or worm then in my book they can eat it. The supply and food chain stops with my pig being eaten by me. Mind you I would never give them an egg produced by a chicken that has been fed with factory produced pellets. Who knows what those large feed producers chuck into it?

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 10:14:08 pm »
That's all well and good MAK but you live in France and you are just confusing the issue. In this country it is illegal to feed eggs to pigs.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 05:16:01 am »
Yes sorry. I'll keep that in mind in the future too. :)
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 07:44:26 am »
Why is it illegal to feed eggs to pigs?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 08:29:04 am »
'cos it's easier for an office worker in Brussels with no farming experience to make one big rule than to work on real individual risk! 
That's why it is also illegal to feed kitchen scraps to chickens - easier to say nothing from kitchen than to recognise that chickens don't get foot and mouth
That's why it's easier to say everyone has to clean out their trailer after transporting livestock than to recognise that my trailer has been from farm to abattoir, that only pigs got off, and nothing got on, and that it'll be at my farm until the next time.
That's why young pigs move on a pointless temporary mark that serves no purpose.
That's why you need to take a pathetic exam to move your pigs over 65km
That is why you have to provide "lateral protections" to your trailer ramp, despite that most smallholders transport in a P6e which has a maximum height that pigs could fall off the side of a foot.
That is why... etc.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:53:37 am »
Perhaps the question needs rephrasing to:

Can my pigs legally eat eggs?
If my pigs eat eggs will they have any adverse effect?
 :pig:

As far as I'm aware  -  no and no.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:01:18 am »
Our hens mingle with the pigs and sometimes go into their arks. If they lay an egg in there will a man with a clipboard suddenly appear, make a note of the fact that the pigs have an egg, then return later to see if they've eaten it? Or is there a ridiculous EU rule somewhere that forbids keeping poultry in the same area as pigs?

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 11:50:39 am »
No Hughesy there isn't, also there isn't a man with a clipboard watching wether you feed your pigs meat but does that mean you do because no one is watching. The law is the law and if people can't live by them then don't keep pigs - simples.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 12:53:46 pm »
Its a good job that not everyone thought that the Poll tax was the law and that it shouldn't be questioned.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 12:58:46 pm »
Why is it any worse than what we have now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS