Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: incubators  (Read 3573 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
incubators
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:54:06 pm »
I am thinking of buying an incubator for duck/turkey/hens eggs. Can anyone tell me the best one for about 24 hens eggs please?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: incubators
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:04 pm »
You probably should be looking at R-com or Brinsea.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 03:41:18 am »
Our R-com broke down twice so can't recommend them. We have semi-automatics, one Spanish and one Italian which will take 24 large hen eggs. Quite cheap but reliable (generally). Downside is you have to push or pull the handle 3 times a day to turn the eggs, so you need to be in early afternoon.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:57:24 am »
There was a recent thread here on a similar subject that may help:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=33286.0

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:32:41 am »
I'm a big fan of the RCom. Have had a lot of success with it.

Helen

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 01:16:08 pm »
Same here but they've gone up in price a lot since I bought mine and I need a much bigger machine so going to probably go for a Brinsea next time. Also I used to work at a place where they sold Brinsea stuff so I know that their after sales service is superb if you need it, which is unlikely.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:36:57 pm »
I have got the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance, automatic egg turning, all singing and dancing. works very well. Takes between 20 and 24 chicken eggs, and we have just done 8 goose eggs, of which 4 hatched.
There must be a new model since I bought mine though...
Definitely can recommend it.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:05:04 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I have ordered a Brinsea Octagon 20 today,  l had almost decided on this one anyway so its nice to know its a good one.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 09:33:46 pm »
Hi,good choice.

Graham.
Graham.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 10:16:42 pm »
We have just hatched from the brinsea octagon Eco 20. Nice incy but we really struggled to keep the humidity above 45-50 in the last few days despite wet sponges and cloth. Lost a couple due to this  :'(
The temperature was fiddly to start with but stayed nicely in range once set. Great view if, like me, you have the need to keep an eye on the eggs from day one  ;D ( and for  the children of course   :innocent: )

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 11:42:31 am »
After getting totally fed up with rubbish hatch rates in my RCom suro (last hatch I got 3 out of 15!!), I treated myself to an octagon 20 eco, with auto turning. I got the 1st hatch out of it yesterday and I am mightily pleased with the results. Out of 8 fertile eggs, 1 died halfway through development (guessing there was something wong with it?) and the remaining 7 developed fully and all hatched. That has never happened to me before, I am chuffed to bits! 4 out of the 7 even came through the post! So 4 white leghorns and 3 of my own crossbreeds all cheeping away and fluffing up nicely. Fingers crossed for girls!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 12:49:01 pm »
In defence of the R-com Suro, my hatch rate hovers around 80%. That is after I ditched the auto humidity pump and run it dry until pipping starts. I also cover it with a polystyrene box as it has no insulation of it's own and I can't afford to keep a room at 20 degrees plus.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS