Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to do with our fleeces?  (Read 3659 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
what to do with our fleeces?
« on: April 30, 2013, 07:41:08 pm »
we got our first sheep last year.they are due to be shorn this may..what do we do with the fleeces?
My friend wants to find somewhere to send them to have them turned into wool.
We are novices to sheep keeping so don't really know where to send the fleece.
we are in north kent.

anyone?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: what to do with our fleeces?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 09:46:39 pm »
I sent mine to the British wool marketing board for the first time last year. The price of wool is better than it used to be and it helps to or even completely covers the shearing costs NB these are Shetlands so they get a higher fleece price than some.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:56:23 am »
This year we will be using ours as an anti-slug mulch and probably composting a couple. They do compost well. I'll probably use one to add to the composting toilet contents as it will be very good for the structure.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 12:59:16 am »
To get your fleece turned into yarn (it's already wool) you can send it to somewhere such as The Natural Fibre Company.  Once spun, if you want they will forward it to a weaver to be woven into blankets, throws, or even skirting, or you can just sell or use the balls of yarn.  Another place to try is The Halifax Spinning Co (in Goole not Halifax  ::) ) and there are others if you google.

Getting fleeces spun is fairly expensive though, so isn't a get rich quick scheme.  It is a lovely way to get something special made from your wool, or to make use of the product which might otherwise just be wasted.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:38:13 am »
This year we will be using ours as an anti-slug mulch and probably composting a couple. They do compost well. I'll probably use one to add to the composting toilet contents as it will be very good for the structure.
I always use the small pieces for winding/wrapping around brassica stems, it is pretty good at preventing slugs, not completely but mostly.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 08:33:04 am »
Lizzypeg, have you thought of learning to spin yourself? That certainly isn't a get rich quick scheme either but you would get some satisfaction when you turn out something reasonable.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 08:37:59 am »
my friend knits so wants the yarn back really.we looked into spinning ourselves but I don't have time and she had various ailments that would make it hard for her to do.
Il look into the companies you can send it too..
thanks for the advice.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:48:24 am »
lizzypeg, it could be worth contacting your local Guild of Spinners, Weavers and Dyers.  Generally Guilds tell people to send their wool away for processing into knitting yarn - but you may get a different response if they're nice Shetland fleeces. ;)  Especially if you would do a "spin some, return some" sort of a deal. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 09:52:12 am »
Lizzypeg - I'm learning to spin at the moment. I'm not up to speed now, but when I am I would be interested in doing it on a shared basis (ie I'd do it for free but keep some of the spun wool) if you're still looking then! And as you know I'm not far from you. Brock has settled in brilliantly btw.

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:57:19 pm »
that sounds like it could be a plan 17andcounting..the others are Shetland cross and one Shetland, but unlike brock she doesn't roo.
his wool was lovely but had too much twigs etc in it to use..
il say to friend as may be a good way to do it.
glad brocks settled in well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS