Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wormer for Pigs and Sheep?  (Read 2232 times)

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
Wormer for Pigs and Sheep?
« on: April 30, 2013, 01:01:29 pm »
I purchased three weaners a couple of weeks ago that have not been wormed and would like to worm them fairly soon.  However I as they are still small I will use very little of the wormer so would like to purchase one that I can also use for my sheep so that I can get as much use as possible from it.
Noromectin seems to be suitable for this, has anybody used it for pigs and sheep.  Or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Liam_86

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Wormer for Pigs and Sheep?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:35:56 pm »
i used the same as you are planning

id reccomend you do it asap though...i left mine three weeks and they got pnuemonia from lung worm (can be quite common)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:50:03 pm »
If you don't want to buy a whole bottle your vet can prescribe the correct dose for you, they would just need a weight for the pigs.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 05:17:06 pm »
worm resistance in sheep has been caused by over use of some wormers ..... vets recommending you get Faecal egg sample and have it teasted for worms before worming ... ewes rarely need worming.  Ask advice from your vet before just buying a one fits all wormer.... our vet now dispenses small doses of wormer for small holders to prevent over use of same drugs.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 05:54:45 pm »
A 50ml bottle of noromectin is only about 12 quid so even if you don't use it all it'll hardly break the bank. You can use it for sheep or cattle too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS