Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Purple tree??  (Read 4248 times)

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
Purple tree??
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:40:04 am »
I'm failry poor at recognising plants, but I'm sure I have never seen this before.

any ideas?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Purple tree??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:43:23 am »
Its Sambucus nigra - the purple leaved elder  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:53:19 am »
Let it grow and you can make elderflower champagne, and the birds will love the berries.

ddangus

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:33:41 pm »
I think it might actually be Sambucus racemosa the red berried elder.
If the flowers develop into a plume it is Sambucus  racemosa if they turn out as a saucer shaped umbel then it is  Sambucus nigra. The berries of S. nigra are black and edible , the ones of S. racemosa are red and there are conflicting opinions on their edibility.

DD
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 12:35:13 pm by ddangus »

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 01:51:35 pm »
Let it grow and you can make elderflower champagne, and the birds will love the berries.

;D ;D ;D

it is growing in a dyke between two fields so it can stay as longas it is nto posionous  :thumbsup:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »
I think it might actually be Sambucus racemosa the red berried elder.
If the flowers develop into a plume it is Sambucus  racemosa if they turn out as a saucer shaped umbel then it is  Sambucus nigra. The berries of S. nigra are black and edible , the ones of S. racemosa are red and there are conflicting opinions on their edibility.

DD

Owwwhooops - I bow to your superior knowledge - I have only come across the purple leaved one  :eyelashes:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:56:29 pm »
 :thumbsup:  thanks for al your help !
I'll keep an eye on it and report back  :sunshine:

ddangus

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:41:47 am »
I just checked against some S. racemosa plants growing on a field margin nearby and I am now  confident that the picture is S. racemosa.
The purple leaves are a response  to either the cold or poor nutrient status and the leaves will be green once they are fully developed.
There are purple leaved forms of Sambucus nigra but these are ornamental varieties, i.e "Black Beauty" there are also golden leafed and lacey leaved varieties. Wild S. nigra trees have green leaves. I am actually not sure whether purple leaved varieties come true from seed or can olny be propgated by cuttings. There are also a number of commercial Danish and Austrian varieties specially selected for either flowers or berries i.e Samdal and Donau.

DD

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 12:06:21 am »
Pretty though hey?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS