Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: to eat or not to eat..  (Read 3680 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
to eat or not to eat..
« on: April 28, 2013, 05:42:11 pm »
I have 2 last years lambs. They are commercial types. One is a rig. He was a very sweet bottle fed lamb, but he is being a pushy sod now and he is huge! He is quite over weight so do I send him off for the freezer or just put him to sleep and take him down to the body place?

Am quite attached to him and he is well bonded to my other whether so would rather he was usefull (as In  eaten) than wasted. Also my other boy has 2girls to be with will he buddy up with them ok?  Being a bit wet about it but he will  be a nightmare in the autumn I think.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: to eat or not to eat..
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:34:14 pm »
Eat gets my vote every time  :thumbsup: no point wasting him  :yum:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:38:01 pm »
Eat him he will be scrummy! I sent one off last year 18 mths killed out 32kg deadweight and you couldn't tell difference in look or taste from younger lambs.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 08:41:27 pm »
If he's fatty then cook the meat under a hot grill or finish roasting by browning the outside,  to crispify the fat, rather than stews where the fat can be a bit globby.   The meat itself will be extra flavourful
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:45:11 pm »
EAT! :farmer:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:55:47 pm »
Eat eat eat! Don't waste him, ESPECIALLY if you're fond of him. Others will settle down without him.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:53:16 pm »
Thanks for the comments.  Will send him off with my skitty ewe who is not in lamb-will have to sort freezer space!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 10:58:01 pm »
I think it would be worse to kill a meat animal and not eat it than to eat it, unless you are a vegetarian of course.  If not its just someone else's animal has been killed for you to eat. 

The first "big" animals I had slaughtered to eat were pigs, and I had let myself get very attached to them.  It was difficult, but once I got past the first few hurdles, and they were in polythene bags in the freezer - and tasted delicious - it was not so bad.

Maybe leave it for a while before eating "him" so it is not too recent in your mind.  And as others say he will be pretty fatty so will need careful trimming and cooking.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 11:09:26 pm »
I'm not veggie-just fussy about where my meat comes from. Would hate to waste him! I don't like lamb/mutton but my family and friends do. So he may be a gift to people!

We eat our Cockerells so don't have a problem with it. Usually don't get attached to them. But its hard when the sheepies think your mum and I didn't think he would get this annoying! Not had boys before only girls, even the whether is more pushy for attention  but he is  not as bossy as Simon single bolly (they are Will the whether and Simon single bolly).

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 09:08:45 am »
It's difficult sometimes not to get a bit attached. But freezer gets the vote from me too.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 10:13:39 am »
More mature animals are great in a slow cooker - let the meal cool then skim off the fat.  Much better flavour than lamb.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:14:33 pm »
Eat!  But I know I'm going to struggle similarly...  I have not yet eaten anything that I've bottle fed and thinks I'm mum!  Got a lovely pet ram lamb at the momnet and trying to keep it clear in my mind that we WILL be eating him.  Managed the love and affection ----> eat thing with the pigs so fingers crossed.   Think it might help if he goes off with another if you have - then you wont be able to tell who is who - or if not - presents sounds a great way around it.  Good luck Fi xx

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 03:56:51 pm »
Another option....
Last week I took a 2 year old wether to the mart together with my tup lamb/hogget, whose services were not longer required (entropion :(  in his lambs), and got 70 quid for the wether friend! Now he was not overly big, too fat for our liking and actually a (suffolk x txl) x shetland... so not your usual fare at the mart...
But otherwise eat him... (You can always use the fat to make soap...).

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:03:30 pm »
I would just worry with the mart whether they were going for halal type slaughter? Might not be true in all cases but I don't like the thought/possibility
We eat the older boys - well, we eat some and the too tough ones the dogs eat, definitely don't waste him!

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 04:19:29 pm »
We haven't eaten ours yet, but that's the plan.
Last year I made the mistake of taking a wether to auction, hoping someone would give him a home as a woolly lawn mower.
They didn't. They bought him to slaughter.
So after all the stress of going to the auction mart , he then had the stress of going somewhere else and then eventually the slaughterhouse with someone he didn't know. I cried for ages.
I won't put my sheep though that again. Rather have one trip and eat them myself.
J xxxxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS