Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to do with tup lambs  (Read 1862 times)

birkb

• Joined Jul 2009
what to do with tup lambs
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:35:52 am »
I have kept three full tup lambs from this years crop which I would like to breed from in due course.  They are approaching three months old.  I have not done this before and I am not sure how long they should stay with the flock...I thought about four months...but any advice would be appreciated !!

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: what to do with tup lambs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:58:05 pm »
Well three months all lambs are taken from there mothers with us, are they pedigree or cross bred tup lambs you have?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: what to do with tup lambs
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:52:47 pm »
we seperate our tup lambs from their mothers asap after the longest day. with suffolks and other all year round lambers they come into season when the nights start getting longer. so we take off the boys to forestall any mishaps. when weaning lambs its best to take the mothers out of a (well fenced) field and leave the lambs in situ. Less stress apparently. If you are rearing for breeding sales you should have already started feeding up the lambs and increase when the mothers have been taken off
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS