Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old TV show  (Read 7325 times)

dannyonthefarm

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Biddulph Moor
Old TV show
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:51:45 pm »
Hi can any one help me with the title of a TV show?
It was about a couple or a family that moved from a town (London I think) to a smallholding in west Wales. It was on the lines of early river cottage with out the cooking.
The reason I want to know is there was an episode where they installed a pump on to a waster spring that worked off the flow of the water to pump the water if that makes sense. I am trying to find out what type of pump this is. 

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Old TV show
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:56:18 pm »
i think i remember this; was the pump constructed from cane or wood? i think they also made their own fuel from waste chip oil recycled? or are we thinking of the same program?
GEM. X

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:38:51 am »
I have no idea what the tv program was , but the type of pump may have been a hydraulic ram pump !!!

http://www.clemson.edu/irrig/Equip/ram.htm

hope that helps a bit ...

cheers

Russ

dannyonthefarm

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Biddulph Moor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:45:37 am »
 I think the pump was made of metal. Something you can go and buy. I don’t think it was hydraulic ram pump. It was connected to a natural spring that was on there land and it pumped waster up to some filters that they made; it was for there drinking water. 
I am not sure about the chip oil it dose sound familiar but was that river cottage?
I can remember they built something for pulling tree stumps out of the ground.
And they built a wind turbine
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:51:26 am by dannyonthefarm »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 12:55:14 am »
The Good Life maybe? lol
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 12:57:25 am »
hydraulic ram pumps are usually made of metal ...hydraulic in his sense is referring to water , not hydraulic oil type pumping . Hydraulic ram pumps just use the water power to pump water uphill ,or wherever you want it pumped !!.  There are some you can see on youtube working. Many people make them at home , but I think you can buy ready made ones now days ?  C.A.T. have one running into one of their ponds ( well they did last time I went there !!) .

http://www.cat.orgy.UK/index.Temple?refer=index&inti=1

It may be that what you saw was something different though , CAT , has lots of info on all sorts of alternative technology , hence the name ..... ;D

cheers

Russ

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 05:37:18 am »
was that the series with dick strawbridge in ? of scrapheap challenge fame

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 08:02:41 am »
try 'it's not easy being green' they moved fronm london to cornwall/devon

they used a system that the presure of the spring water created a presurise value that forced the water uphill to a storage tank.

It involved lots of blokes (young and old)with no tops on and lots of mucking around with water and blue pipes.

Check out the bbc Iplayer if you can old episodes are on their of it.

Linz

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:06:01 am by Fluffywelshsheep »

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 12:56:53 pm »
it's not easy being green, they used the very type of pump you are talking about on that - i think it's still available on the BBC I Player - just checked - no it's not :-(
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:02:27 pm by sellickbhoy »

dannyonthefarm

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Biddulph Moor
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 01:58:53 pm »
I think rustyme is right it was a hydraulic ram pump they used, when I looked at the picture it looked nothing like the one in the program but now I have read up on them it sound exactly like the pump that was used in the TV show.
Thanks rustyme.
I would still like to no the name of the show if any one can remember it. I think it may have been on a Sky channel like UKTV living

rustyme

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:13:46 pm »
http://www.newhousefarm.tv/project=Water_and_Waste

that is the website for the Strawbridge family etc and the link goes direct to the section on the pump .....I didn't see the program so have no idea if this is the right website !! But it does talk about ram pumps . There are loads of youtube clips of ram pumps in different situations all over the world . I Have a book on making them , bought at the CAT
http://www2.cat.org.uk/shopping/product_info.php?products_id=365&osCsid=33
I am not sure if that is the same book I have , mine is hiding somewhere at the moment !! My situation doesn't require one really , and a wheel working a pump from the river, will work better than a ram , not enough fall/head for a ram on my land.

cheers

Russ

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 04:29:05 pm »
try 'it's not easy being green' they moved fronm london to cornwall/devon

they used a system that the presure of the spring water created a presurise value that forced the water uphill to a storage tank.

It involved lots of blokes (young and old)with no tops on and lots of mucking around with water and blue pipes.
Check out the bbc Iplayer if you can old episodes are on their of it.

Linz

Ah Linz, you and me must've been watching for the same reason LOL!  ;)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 05:02:12 pm »

Ah Linz, you and me must've been watching for the same reason LOL!  ;)

haha
i think they put that in for the women audience lol.
Am currently watching day 2 of Torchwood (enougth said )!!!

rustyme

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 05:05:25 pm »
JB wouldn't do you much good Linz , he is gay and married to a bloke ......ha ha ha  ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 05:15:22 pm »
lol, not a fan of JB at all,  sorry to brake your illusion. lol
He comes across as being up his own @rse no pun intended

Linz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS