Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling home made wine.  (Read 3476 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Selling home made wine.
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:28:57 am »
On my peice of land I have loads of black currant bushes. I Was thinking of using these to make my own wine.
But I was wondering if there is a Registration process if so how that works and how much it costs.
Thanks in Advance.

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Re: Selling home made wine.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:45:21 am »
There is a problem with selling alcohol at the garden gate is that as it is alcohol you will have to pay customs and excise the required duty on the product and also you will need  a licence to produce alcoholic liquor.  then you will have to have the necessary premises to produce it in and that will require an unbonded an elderly moment, should read, bonded site.

The cost of all the above would make it prohibitive for the average person IMHO.

Tala

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:54:11 pm by Tala Orchard »
Pigs are human tooo

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:57:34 am »
I'm not sure where the unbonded site comes from but I do know someone living in Scotland who ran her own hedgerow wine business for a number of years and I'm pretty sure that she's be happy to give you some pointers in the right direction. I'm not sure whether she's a member of TAS or not but her user name is 'Gil' and she can be found on Downsizer. I once fixed her up with the best part of 100 demi johns and as I say, she's very approachable.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:11:56 am »
interesting... there was a bit on country file about country wines - seemed like a brill business plan for 10 acres....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 10:28:01 am »
Bonds are for spirits and fortified wines I think.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:47:36 am »
Bonded sites are for any liquor that incurs alcohol duty, this includes spirits fortified wines and ordinary wines as they all require the payment of duty prior to being sold.

However things may have changed over the past 40yrs as back then I used to work for a firm that imported wines and spirits we had our own bonded warehouse. And all our wine went into it prior to bottling  and after each batch of wine was bottled we had to pay duty prior to selling via wholesalers.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 11:40:26 am »
I'd heard about bonded warehouses but not unbonded.

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 12:55:19 pm »
OTG, thank you for pointing out my elderly moment knew what I wanted to put just did not come out that way....lol
Pigs are human tooo

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 02:54:39 pm »
Thats not a problem and by the way, your spotty pigs look superb.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS