Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Possible Blind Lamb  (Read 14858 times)

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Re: Possible Blind Lamb
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 10:19:35 pm »

Oh that's terribly sad.

Nortonhillbilly

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Wotton Under Edge, Gloucestershire
  • Nothing runs like a Deere
    • Our Small Farm
Re: Possible Blind Lamb
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 02:06:01 am »
I really feel for you. We had a pair of blind lambs this year. I think they got chilled - we lamb outside - and maybe they had brain damage. But we brought them in to the house and had them in a haybox by the rayburn and eventualy they regained their strength after a week enough to go back outside and into the barn with mum. Amazingly she took them back, even though they had no concept of her as mum and she was by then dry. We fed them every four hours, all through the night for two weeks then down to three times a day eventually. They grew, prospered, got quite strong. They  went outside into the straw yard with other lambs and tried to play with them but kept getting hung up on hurdles or crashing into things. We'd rescue them out of the water trough and put them in the barn  again at night. Finally, one awful afternoon, We found one drowned in the water trough. My wife cried her heart out. I took the other to the vet and had it put down. She fought the injection with a real desire to stay alive and I felt like a complete brute, but I could not let her face life without her sister and worry she was going to die anytime. Once before we ahd a blind lamb but he had a sighted sister and they went everywhere together quite happily and it was fine, but this, well, this was just too stressful. It was the worst moment in 15 years sheep keeping, so like I say, I really feel for you. Sorry

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS