Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sticky bottom  (Read 8756 times)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Sticky bottom
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 02:35:12 pm »
I find it so amusing  :roflanim: the time and effort put into having a clean bum , my lambs would drive you crazy hundreds and hundreds of  yellow sticky bums untouched by human hands :excited:  i only catch the odd one when the tail is stuck to the  wool  :)            HILL lambs receive less milk so tend not to get sticky bums :sunshine:

I was about to say "get more sheep" as you just wont have the time or energy to run around decrapping their arses.... ;D

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 02:59:19 pm »
      :roflanim:    Yep, maybe I've got too much time on my hands because it's sorted. The "lump" which was golf ball sized has fallen off ..... it's gone.  :excited: :roflanim:

Had a feeling the ewe was  :roflanim:  at me last night.  ::)  Didn't stand a chance at catching lambie and looked as though she felt just fine according to how high she was leaping.

Was thinking of asking how a neighbour who lambs over 1,700 ewes deals with mucky bums  ??? . Bit scared to ask in case they think I've gone bonkers. The neighbour who helps me with my sheep, used to lamb about 70 ewes and he told me to check and wash bums.  :eyelashes: 

Thanks for all the replies ..... I shall await the next sticky bum ..... as no. 2 ewe lamb has plopped out this morning.  ;D

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 06:03:18 pm »
Hi.
One of my lambs is a week old today ( although he is very small and like a pipe cleaner so I can still just about catch him) .
I've done his bottom a few times ( yes and without gloves.....) ....
I was just surprised that this was still going on at a week old. I thought it was the colostrum in the first day or so?
J xxxx

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 06:10:06 pm »
JMB, do you really have to do it that often or would the problem go away of its own accord if you didn't interfere?
Of those I have cleaned I have only done it once, then despite some more 'forming' afterwards they always managed to poo ok and the problem vanished.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 06:13:27 pm »
Um, maybe not. An excuse to have a kiss and a cuddle perhaps. I haven't done this with the others, but they get extra attention as our last twins and both teeny tiny.
I think I just notice it more maybe.
I still thought it didn't last more than a couple of days
J xxxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS