Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: plans for a lovely day?  (Read 3385 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
plans for a lovely day?
« on: April 20, 2013, 12:35:46 pm »
What is everyone up to today?

It is so lovely here (staffs) so I am out in the garden. Just potted on a load of herbs. Planted some turnip seeds into a large ammo box i have in the garden (no idea how they will do!). Also planted some cylindrical beetroot, also in a container, first time with beetroot so we'll see how it goes! Also put my last lot of spuds into my last grow bag and the other two bags are finally starting to show some shoots after the sun we have had this last week, which is good as i thought they had bitten the dust after the snow we had!

Also been picking up loads of branches which got blown off the birch in next doors garden. This afternoon I plan to move my eglu and fill it with boredom breakers for when my quail chicks are ready to go out. My husband and I are also planning to move our rabbit hutch (which is huge) round so that the wind doesnt blow directly into the face of it. We also need to fix the roof of the hutch which got ripped clean off during the wind last week!

Thats about it for today i think!  :excited:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: plans for a lovely day?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 01:49:25 pm »
You've had a productive day!! Its gorgeous here in Worcs too  :sunshine:
I've made 3 batches of soap, bathed the dog with a new doggy shampoo I made, started to trim goat hooves but decided to sit out in the paddock with them and have cuddles instead!  nice salad for lunch, ripped a few weeds out and now I'm about to drop 3 children to their grandad for the afternoon and take hubby and eldest daughter out for dinner later  :)
Saw some stonking green dags hanging off the sheeps bums so that must be a sign of new grass!! and  time to get dagging tomorrow...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 02:10:24 pm »
Just delivered a trophy to a gundog club chairman for the Retriever and Spaniel tests tomorrow, then took the dogs for a run at Blairadam woods. Not another soul there so was able to concentrate on some training. Recalls were absobloomin brilliant - but I DID have some bits of venison burger with me  :relief: :innocent:

Welcomed my roaming cat - minus yet another collar - that makes 13 now and I am NOT buying another one!

Just having a late lunch at the computer then it's off outside to cut the grass before the sun goes in.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 02:53:19 pm »
I thought I would spend the day (beautifully sunny here too  :sunshine:  but a bit breezy) doing some gentle weeding in my flower garden  :garden: .  But before that I had to do something with the climbing rose interwoven with clematis climbing up the workshop wall, which hadn't been sorted for 3 or 4 years.  Just like brambles, rose's stems make every effort to trap you and hold onto you until you decompose into compost  ;D    I won  :roflanim:   If the wind dies down later we will have a bonfire of dead rose stems and crates from the flagstones which are now all laid in a new path to the back door.

Otherwise just checking on my last 3 to lamb - they've been hanging on for ages now, and keep doing vaguely lambingy things just to keep us on our toes.  They'll pop them out when they're ready  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 06:46:54 pm »
Been to collect 4 saddleback weaners this morning, got them settled in then off to pick up a dozen hybrid hens, hoping it will stay fine for tomorrow as JCB should be back to fill in the drainage trench across the field and I need to cut the grass. How come the lawn is growing but not the field  :thinking:
Anne

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 07:22:12 pm »
Cold here (La Creuse,Limousin) and the fire was lit when I got back from the shops at 4:00 PM - odd as I got sunburnt on Wednesday when planting some veg out and sowing seeds. It was 26 degrees and 40 according to the thermometer that I put on the patio table. Must be below 10 today according to my red nose.
Moving wood for logs back to the house tomorrow so I hope it remains cool.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 10:24:46 pm »
Posted this on Facebook yesterday:Safely home from our holiday.  It was a far from uneventful journey.  First we were pootling along the M4 at 70mph when there was a bang as I ran over something.  Must have been small as I didn't see it in the road. Suddenly the steering went funny and bits of rubber started flying past the car.  I managed to hang onto the car and get onto the hard shoulder. One front tyre in shreds.  What was it that I ran over?  Rang the RAC and we were back on the road, spare wheel firmly attached within an hour.
 Took the wrong turn off on one of the roundabouts in Kidderminster so Alan switched the satnav on to get us back to where we should be.  Of course the battery gave out at the wrong moment so I had to keep driving while Alan plugged the cable in by which time we were stationery at lights. 
 "Turn right," says Uncle Tom so I indicate, carefully switch lanes, turn right and end up going down a country lane. Uncle Tom seems quite happy with this so I carry on.  Then I hear a siren, glance in my mirror and there is a police car behind me so I indicate left to pull over and slow down.  So does the police car.  Oh dear.  I stop and so do they.  An officer comes to my door and asks if I am local.  "Telford," I tell her, which is when she tells me that I had just turned right illegally as I hadn't seen the sign.  She realises I am using satnav but says I should have seen the sign.  Fair enough.  I should have but I suspect I had passed it before Uncle Tom told me to turn right.
 After telling her my name (they had obviously already checked my car details) and showing her my driving licence as proof I am who I said, she gave me directions then followed me for a few miles to make sure I didn't get lost again (or checking I didn't break the law again).
 We now have all the dogs home, the bags unpacked, the washing on and are about to crawl into bed.  Just as well I have my stair lift.  I wouldn't have had the energy to walk upstairs, even if I could.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 11:02:15 pm »
Not such a 'lovely day' MGoM, hope you have a good nights sleep and tomorrow brings better things  :fc:

Working yesterday and VERY busy so missed the best of the weather. Freezing, windy and showery today so tried to get the enthusiasm to catch up on indoor jobs. The seedlings on the windowsills are more triffid-like every day. Quite a laughable site no matter what the weather  :D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 11:14:35 pm »
Its been a lovely few weeks with family visits, jobs etc, Yesterday we started off with a big breakfast and coffee, then, went to walk it off in Devilla Forest, the sun brought lots of people out too but we all had some lovely chats, my grandaughters loved it and had fun hidding around the trees with thier dad and my daughter and I adored being in such a pretty place in the sun, then one of our dogs sniffed some branches and we saw what we thought a dead bird, its bum was sticking out the branches so Rohan had a good sniff but then we saw it move so my husband walked off with the dogs and I took away the branch, the grandchildren were a little worried but I was not going to move it so we rang the Warden to inform them of the fallen bird of Prey, then we went to Culross and had a walk, so pretty there and after coffees soups and cake went off to visit a small holding not far away, the girls fed some lambs but we all fell in love with a Labradoodle......after a detor to Knock hill racing circuit we went to buy treats at B&M, then tea and a film....it was such a wonderful day........today just as nice but colder......so glad I could find some lovely local places for them to see!!! shame they are back home tomorrow!! I did plan to ring DizzyCow and pop in as we were in Culross, but time went so quickly....anyway, thanks all for the offers!!!!! :wave:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:54:57 am by happygolucky »

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 11:32:41 pm »
Had a lovely day shoveling horse sh-- allways  knew I would end up a sh-- shoveler my old school teacher said as much.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 12:01:18 am »
What an excellent day to be out toiling !

I tensioned 100m of stock netting and 200m of barbed wire, Then hung the new gate to finish off out first pig field. All i need to do now is lay the water pipe and build an ark.

Can't wait

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 10:11:01 am »
What an excellent day to be out toiling !

I tensioned 100m of stock netting and 200m of barbed wire, Then hung the new gate to finish off out first pig field. All i need to do now is lay the water pipe
Ditto exactly how we spent the weekend! We bought the fencing stuff nearly a year ago and have been waiting ever since for the weather to improve and at last  :sunshine: so OH dug in 100mtrs of water pipe (mini digger not by hand!) and we divided the big paddock to make two smaller ones 50mtrs x 30mtrs. It now just waiting for me to move in the piggies!
mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS