Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 97 Leylandi trees  (Read 10895 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
97 Leylandi trees
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:48:52 pm »
We have 97 Leylandi trees surrounding 2 sides of our two acres. 2 questions. If we want to take them down to 5 feet high or so do we need permission? Given they are huge what price to get them take down, all the rubbish shredded and wood left in 3 foot long longs? Have had a quote so interested in all your thoughts.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: 97 Leylandi trees
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:54:26 pm »
I'd be interested too as I have a row of 40 foot high Leylands both sides of my property.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 05:57:56 pm »
I can't see that you need permission to lower them given that councils are having to make orders to force people to do it. And it's highly unlikely they would count as forestry being a single/double hedge line of non native garden hedging. I would chop away (no idea of cost tho I suspect quite a bit given the sizes )

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:00:27 pm »
how tall is huge escaped to the country? is there room to work on them or are they close to buildings?

are they on your property?

if you cut big tree's to 5ft they will look awful and probably never recover...

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 06:02:28 pm »
Not too bothered if they don't recover to be honest. I swear the tallest are 30metres tall. And scarily those are the ones next to the road that look like no huge chunks have blown off..... Yet!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 06:28:58 pm »
Leylandii don't burn well in your fire - very black.  They do look awful once you've chopped them down as they don't regenerate in a nice way.   Get three quotes from various tree surgeons and take your pick - tell them that's what you are doing so they know they have to compete.  Were it me, I would get them all chopped down, after a year pull out the stumps (takes that long for the roots to die and loosen) then refresh the soil and replant with native hedging.   I'm not sure if Leylandii leave toxins in the soil which would prevent new trees growing in their place, but you don't see anything growing under them, so worth finding out.  Ghastly things  :tree:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 06:32:27 pm »
they leave the soil very acidic it would need to be limed appropriately before replanting

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 07:03:50 pm »
How windy will it be if you take them down.
I know they're horrible but must have been put there for a reason.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 07:50:40 pm »
Only leylandi surrounded plot for miles around. Prevailing wind blows across our property the other way. Once cut down I accept they may not be totally pretty - but neither is the half paddock that not much can grown due to being in shade a lot of the time.

Back to my original question though which was do I need permission - consensus so far so no and price? Anyone had a similar job done?

Attached photo to show how high.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 08:14:44 pm »
Chop em off..bloody things will soon grow back.. My old house had them instead of fences.. 60 of them..trimmed them to 4 foot but soon grew back.. Had someone cum with a chainsaw and van..£200 job done

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 08:22:46 pm »
ok i cant see any reason you would need permission, leylandii aren't classed as tree's but as hedging.

as to cost for a proper job by someone with insurance and the ability to chip all the crap efficiently you got to be talking several thousand but not sure as would depends on what tree surgeons in your area charge and that varies wildly depending on how much competition there is etc.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 08:41:16 pm »
also as an aside chipped up leylandii is rubbish on the garden as it will acidify any soil, it is only really fit for paths etc and even then its not great.

i have taken down individual and small groups of trees like these and logged them and shredded the branches they're no fun to work with the sap burns skin and gunks up chainsaw chains...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 08:51:47 pm »
The only thing I would add is birds - a lot of birds nest in leyllandii, it's one of the few redeeming features, so I wouldn't be chopping them at this time of year (might be breaking the law as birds are now nesting), I would want it done once all the birds have flown.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 08:54:44 pm »
Have used old conifer clippings before for weed suppressing mulch with some success.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 12:01:30 am »
In Scotland you have to have permission to remove anything more than 5 trees. But you can pollard, and copper nails can be useful. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS