Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The cost of keep sheep  (Read 8715 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: The cost of keep sheep
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 12:47:38 pm »
You could save some money on the purchase - our unreg Shetlands only cost about £25 each - if I were paying £85 a head it would blow the whole thing out of the water. If you do pay £85 then it is definitely a hobby costing money, which is fine but it's useful to know that at the start.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 04:25:24 pm »
The worming etc is complicated.
You can find advice by searching online .
As a rough guide, from my notes, we used to treat for worms and fluke 3 or 4 times a year, say October, January, April and maybe July. ( you may need to do it more often depending on weather)
If you were looking at the the cost of products you could look up combinex which you'd use in October and January and then you'd use a different product for the April and July, such as Mebadown or supaverm.
You could look these up as a starting point. These are combined wormers and flukers with different ingredients.
Once a year, usually 6 weeks prior to lambing, you give them heptavac. The first year they need 2 injections, then it's annually. The stuff doesn't keep so you are supposed to buy a new pack every time.
In terms of fly strike etc, people don't dip much anymore. You'd get crovect and pour it on. We do ours at shearing and then again in the autumn.
You'll find these products online.
It'll give you an idea of cost. If you get products with a long shelf life they can last a couple of years of dosing.
Sometimes your local vet can give you smaller doses of wormer etc to save you buying a big pack. But some don't.
Sorry it's complicated, and other people may do different things
Hope that helps a bit
Joanne xxxx

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:28:51 pm by JMB »

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 08:57:04 pm »
A good thing to think about is try an get a couple off free sheep that people don't want or pets just incase you don't like keeping sheep after all! And if you do build on them :-)

steve_in_devon

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Cadbury, Near Exeter, Devon
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 07:07:41 am »
Free lambs/sheep where would I find them?

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 07:41:40 am »
Free sheep very often put up on sites like preloved that people have as pets an no longer want them worth put a wanted add up. There was 5 grey face dartmoors near me yesterday but I missed them :(

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS