Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What wormer to use??  (Read 14585 times)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: What wormer to use??
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 03:18:07 pm »
The only wormer that really works on goats is an Ivermectin one............I use Oramec at twice the sheep dose...............straight down the throat.
Eprinex is useful to make sure that lice, mange etc are not being harboured but it really does not work on goats for gut worms.
The worm that does the most harm in a goat is Haemonchus Contortus...Barber Pole worm and  Ivermectin is the the only one that is known to be effective.
Check that the wormer you want to use is effective against H.Contortus...not all are.
The fact that your goat was uncertain on her feet suggest to me that she is anaemic from worm damage and that worm will almost certainly be H.Contortus.
This worm is on the ground, you cant stop it.  You can only attempt to break the lifecycle and then keep on top of it.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 11:19:35 pm »
My vet told me that as my goats are yarded, there is no need to worm them.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 06:43:40 am »
My vet told me that as my goats are yarded, there is no need to worm them.

Once they have been cleared of worms and are not re-introduced to infected pasture you should of course be ok for yarded goats.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 06:49:17 am »
That is right of course..............but this does mean no fresh cut grass can be fed, only branches.
If you feed any cut grass,   worms could be hiding deep in it particularly at this time of year when warmth means the larvae are higher up stems.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 08:03:11 am »
I use ivermectin and do a poo sample myself. 

Helen

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 07:33:38 pm »
I usually do a poo sample myself...every morning 8.30 sharp :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 11:24:23 pm »
Carl, too much information.  ;)

The only fresh grass my goats have is from my garden so that should be clean.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS