Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Depressed sheep  (Read 10601 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Depressed sheep
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:01:29 pm »
Hello again.
One of my ewes lost her only lamb yesterday. I was expecting her to spend a could of days bleating and wandering about, but all she's doing is lying near to where the lamb was. I've taken her food and water and she  gets up but eats nothing and then lies back down again.
She looks totally fed up, the poor soul.
Is she just grieving or could it be something else?
It breaks my heart to see her so sad .
Thanks
Joanne xxxx

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Depressed sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:23:01 pm »
 :bouquet: What you have to remember is she is a sheep, not a human. She will wait for a while to see if the lamb returns to where she saw it last....she has milk for it....
Check udder is not hot and red and just leave her be....she will eventually realise its gone.....and get on with life.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:29:41 pm »
Can you find an orphan lamb for her?

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 02:47:09 pm »
Hi.
No, we can't get an orphan for her. Woollyval is right, I just need to give her time. Her udders are ok. I just wondered if there could be anything else.
And she is a sheep not a human, she is a sheep not a human, she is a........
Worth remembering!
Thanks
J xxxxx

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:48:24 pm »
......but easy to forget sometimes :-)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 09:12:33 pm »
Well, yes, but .....  While I'm very far from a bunny-hugging anthropomorphisiser (I think I may have just made that word up) I once had a ewe that had a very bad lambing and stank so much that you could smell it as you came round the corner of the shed despite the vet giving her everything in his armoury but she loved her lamb and refused to die.  On the other hand, we had a ewe that was otherwise fine but lost her lamb and simply turned her head to the wall and was dead two hours later.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 09:17:32 pm »
I had a ewe last year who had two lambs born dead and she was so dreadfully mournful I got hold of two cade lambs to try and foster them onto her - but she wouldn't have them!  I ended up bottle feeding them and the ewe just got on with her life eventually.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:17:48 pm »
They are mothers all the same poor things.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 09:19:57 pm »
Funny you should say that Marches farmer...
Last year Tarragon had a single ewe lamb, very traumatic birth, bad presentation and retained afterbirth.
She had barely any milk for the 1st 2 weeks, and was in a lot of pain despite painkillers.
I still believe to this day the only reason she survived was because of her lamb.
Sadly the lamb was never a good doer and she died with suddenly with the 1st frost :'(
The next day Tarragon choked to death on a sugar beet nut despite the vet and I frantically trying everything.
I loved that sheep, but she loved her lamb more :'( :'(
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 09:52:40 am »
Oh dear, what sad stories.
Now I'm depressed , as well as my poor ewe.
She has ventured out to eat a bit today but gone back to the trees. An improvement though I think.
Thanks for your replies and support
J xxxxx
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:05:43 pm by JMB »

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 09:56:09 am »
Is she a Heb Jo ?

Do you want me to try sending some reiki for her ? It certainly won't do any harm.
I just need to know what she looks like  ;)

Poor love & poor you  :hug: :-*
Karen x

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 12:19:05 pm »
Did she cleanse properly?  And I presume there was only one lamb inside.

Had a sheep which had a bad lambing with triplets, went down despite all the vets (very expensive care) plus local shepherds advice

Got in touch with Ainsworths who recommended various remedies and they were posted out to me.  It was a terrible faff keep treating her, but after about 3 days all the hideously smelly stuff came out, and she got up and proceeded (eventually) to rear her three lambs

All her wool fell out from the fever, and as she was an early lamber I gave her a green polo neck jumper to wear, with her front feet through the cut down arm.  She was so proud of herself being different from the other ewes and went round with her three, who just pushed the jumper aside when the wanted to feed

Next year she lambed again with twins no probs at all

PS if it is just grieving the Ignatia is good
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 01:05:24 pm »
Yes she's a Heb Karen.
Just picture a woolly black thing with horns and a miserable face, lying down.
Any sheep therapy gratefully received.
Thank you xxxx
P.s I'd never heard of ignatia but looked it up. Can you give this to sheep? How much and how?
Xxxxxx
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:13:38 pm by JMB »

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 04:05:29 pm »
As I said contact Ainsworths of London, they will post out.  Dont use the Weleda or what you get from health food type places, it won't work.    I usually use it at 30C strength.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS