Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what goat...  (Read 3617 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
what goat...
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:36 am »
As someone who has never had goats, but would love the idea of making a little cheese and milk, what breed of goat would you recommend to a beginner, and what other benefits do goats bring to the small holding?

john

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: what goat...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:03:44 am »
We have kept Sannens and British Toggs  for many years, we now also have Boer Goats.
I would recommend toggs as ours are easy to handle, give large amounts of milk, some giving over a gallon a day and I love the cheese and Butter  from them.
If you have Lambs etc on your smallholding the surplus milk comes in very usefull for rearing cade lambs
Graham

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:05:08 pm »
Best to go for something a bit older and with a kid so you can see it being milked,that its easy to handle and the kid can keep it company and grow up into a milker while you are learning on mum.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:43:32 pm »
I'm not sure if there is a good breed for a beginner, everyone would recommend their own favourite breed, mine are pure Toggenburg, I believe they  were originally bred for cheese making, they are placid (but mischievous at times :) ),  if you want to help a rare breed this could be the one to go for.
Anglo Nubian are known for high butterfats, but they have a reputation for being noisy.
Much depends on upbringing, temperment, and possibly age?
I too would suggest a milker and daughter(s), (making sure she is already being milked and calm about it), but not too old.
Don't forget they need shelter if turned out, and they will strip and kill any trees they can reach  :( .
They will of course help keep the weeds down, and help clear a wild area, manure is good if composted, they do tend to waste hay and grass seed will be in fresh manure.
Milk can be used for orphan lambs, not sure if the whey can still be fed to pigs or chickens (defra rules and regulations  ::)  )
Check out BGS and RSPCA websites for advice on care.
BUT BE VERY CAREFUL you may intend to only keep 2, but find yourself falling in love with the babies and end up wondering where to keep them all  ;D  (experience talking  ;D )

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:55:12 pm »
I'm also thinking about getting a couple of goats when we finally move to our new place although we will definitely wait a little while first so we can understand what we have taken on and adjust to the new life.

Our current "favourite" is the Golden Guernsey - http://www.goldenguernseygoat.org.uk/ - mostly because I read that they produce a little less milk than some others and I was concerned that we might end up with too much.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:29:55 pm »
You can legally use any milk produced on your own holding for feeding to pigs, probably not via the kitchen though... So you can never have too much milk if you have pigs around...

Just a fe wpointers at what to think about...

What you would be prepared to do with the male offspring (and there will be at least 50% if not more of the kids born males), too many end up on pre-loved/marts etc. They do make tasty meat, and it is just being "discovered" by the wider public.

Goats are best disbudded, and this will need to be done by day 4 of age, by a competent vet. Best to bring animals to the surgery for it, vet can use gas there and is very quick and safe operation. Make sure you get a vet that knows how to do this, not that many handle goats anymore. Some people prefer to keep theor goats in their "natural" horned state, and there have been heated discussions on this forum in the past - please read through them before you decide one way or another, and definitely BEFORE you go and see any goats.

Goats are addictive, so make sure you build a goat house with room for extension... I started with three goats 5 years ago, now have 10 adults and 5 of those are kidding ths year - so may end up with nearly 20 goats....pssst OH hasn't quite clocked that yet :innocent:  (but 3 to 4 will be castrated male kids for meat).

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 05:34:57 pm »
Wow ..some good answers there to read about, i have no problem with eating goat..i did have some out in nepal and found it as good as lamb, i like the idea of mother and daughter... and will read about some of the breeds recommended

thanks guys

john

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 12:35:40 am »
I would always go for Sanaans, not just because I am biased (although I am) but because they are placid, friendly and produce lots of lovely milk, even though the butterfat content is not the highest.  I used to have a Toggenburg and a British Alpine - would never have a BA again.  They spend their entire lives trying to escape.  My male was Sanaan x BA and he had to Houdini instincts (but tasted very nice when his time came).

You say you have no problem in eating goat but it is a bit different when it's a goat you've reared and cuddled and loved, which is why Curry lived to be 20 months.

I would agree they are very addictive. I am restricted by lack of space and an OH who doesn't want goats but I still have two and next time one kids, if there's a female.......

I would suggest you visit as many goat keepers as you can and get to know a few different breeds.  I don't know where you are, but if it's anywhere near Shropshire, my girls are always happy to have visitors.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 12:35:50 pm »
Oh !!! lots to look at and learn about... i do like those little Pygmy Goats.. but i bet they are full of mischief :lol:

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 12:57:38 pm »
You wont get much cheese etc from a Pygmy they are meat goats....unless you have a small enough eggcup to milk them in  ;) ;D

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 03:34:57 pm »
 :yum: yes i noticed the Pygmy goats are mainly meat ..., but I am sure a few breeds can live with one and other  :thumbsup: and to have a little bundle of mischief around would just seem right  :roflanim:

also..not going to say to much at the moment, but i have had a fantastic offer from a very kind member on here to go and see their goats and get some face to face advice... how fantastic is that .... :excited:

john

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS