Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding and castrating question  (Read 3542 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
feeding and castrating question
« on: March 30, 2013, 09:57:51 am »
My second ryeland eventually lambed yesterday, but lamb was head first.  Having never done it before I did try to find the shoulders and legs but obviously wasnt in far enough and couldnt locate the legs, so panicked and found a local farmer to come round where he lambed her with a huge boy.  My worry is he is now 24 hours old, feels warm, is alert but when I try to make him feed from mum he wont.  I always worry if I dont see my kids suckle but surely he must be as hes not crying and looks like his tummy is quite round.  The other worry is that this am I attempted to band him, then cut the band off as I realised there were no testicles in the bag.  Do they take a while to come down?  I did his tail ok.

The first ryeland lambed with twin girls no problem and they are always feeding from mum.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: feeding and castrating question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:14:21 am »
After you have banded them, you should be able to feel both nuts. Make sure you get both, otherwise he can still do the business

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 11:55:21 am »
Hi there
As a vet and long time lamber, maybe I can offer some advice?
If he has a full belly and is warm, he must be getting something from mum, and may not be feeding cos he is full. If his belly wasn't full, or he was looking tucked up, or cold when you put a finger in his mouth, those are signs he may not be feeding properly, and a bottle or a stomach tube may be required.
A full happy lamb will also stretch if you get it up from lying down, where a hungry one will just stand there.
Sounds like he's doing fine in that regard.
As to testicles, sometimes they pop into the body a bit if you are putting the ring on at the wrong angle. I usually sit the lamb on the floor between my legs, with his back legs along the floor, actually in a sitting position. This usually crunches the belly up, so the testicles pop through and into the scrotum properly. If you can feel two then, you should be able to put the ring on. Pop it on the pliers, and stretch it fully open. I usually point one corner towards the tail, one towards the belly, and that way the two teats are along the sides of the square and you won't catch them in the ring. I then put my left hand above the scrotum, to help push the testicles to stay in the right place, and gently close the ring. If there are still two testicles in the scrotum under the ring, then I release it, if not, you can open the pliers and try to refind the testicles. If you are still struggling, perhaps your friendly local farmer could help you out for the first one so you can watch the technique and have a go, as some of them are a bit awkward and try to hang onto them!
Hope that helps
Suzanne

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:20:06 pm »
They have to be castrated within the first 7 days.  I've had a few problems this year - I think it's the cold weather!

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 08:29:01 pm »
You do sometimes have to encourage the testicles out with a little prodding and pushing!  I leave the castrator open above the top of the scrotum and don't close it fully till I feel both testicles in the sac.  I have little Gotlands to do this week and their sacs are tiny!!  :P
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

paulrollings

• Joined Jan 2012
  • West Hanney, Oxfordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:42:50 pm »
Normally I don't bother castrating my lambs,  but this year I want to keep one ram back as a companion for a breeding ram.  I can cope with most things, but I've been too squeamish about castrating my lamb; tails no worries, but I have a problem doing testicles!  I am now on day 8; does anyone know if I am still OK to castrate my lamb with the band?!

Thanks for advice ....

Paul "cluck cluck"

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 12:28:59 pm »
Normally I don't bother castrating my lambs,  but this year I want to keep one ram back as a companion for a breeding ram.  I can cope with most things, but I've been too squeamish about castrating my lamb; tails no worries, but I have a problem doing testicles!  I am now on day 8; does anyone know if I am still OK to castrate my lamb with the band?!

Thanks for advice ....

Paul "cluck cluck"
Hi Paul
At day 8, it is no longer legal to castrate a lamb with a rubber ring. It must be done by a vet at that point. If he's going to be a companion for another entire ram, it wouldn't be such a problem to have him entire, but if he's got a chance of getting at the ladies, maybe best have a word with your vet.
All the best
Suzanne

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 12:42:14 pm »
The vet needs to administer a local anaesthetic and then uses a castration ring. Ours only charged £9 per ram lamb when we missed a few one year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS