Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying a gun  (Read 3519 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Buying a gun
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:36:36 am »
Currently plagued by foxes coming all times of the day to take chickens. I'm therefore considering getting a fun. I don't know anything about them. Can anyone provides any information please?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Buying a gun
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:22:33 am »
Find your local gun club and get some training, they will be able to tell you everything you need to know.  Plus you might also find someone local who can come and shoot for you (for free-ish usually) instead of having to buy and use a gun yourself (which is much easier :)).
Shooting a fox that you happen to see is one thing, learning the breeding and movement habits of foxes is another thing, and learning to track.  You do really need to know the whole sh-bang before you start popping off rounds.  For example, killing a vixen that has young back at a den is not really on, you need to track her back to find the den first, then kill her, and then the young.  You get my drift? :)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:24:58 am »
oh and of course, to use a gun that will legally kill a fox you will need a firearms license.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:07:24 am »
As Foobar suggested, you could probably find someone to come and take care of the foxes for free. Getting a gun isn't a straight forward process and could take up to a year to be granted a licence and if you've no experience with firearms they'd probably want you to get some or show that you have someone that can mentor you. It'll partly depend where you are in the country and which police force you'd deal with as to how quickly you could get one. You do however have good reason to have one so there's no reason you shouldn't unless your doctor says you aren't fit to own one.

If the foxes come in close enough a shotgun could be used but you'd probably be better off with a rifle. You need separate certificates for shotguns (shotgun certificate) and rifles (firearms certificates) and in Scotland you now need a certificate for air rifles as well (but you can't shoot a fox with an air rifle). Something like a .22-250 is a common fox calibre but there are many others that would do the job. Just remember these bullets can travel a long long way if you don't have a safe backstop behind your target.

Best of luck! 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 11:55:22 am »
Wanting to kill the foxes that have taken your poultry is one thing, actually doing the killing is something else - quite shocking and unpleasant.  I used to have a gun plus shotgun license, now I won't go near the thing.  Best to get someone else who knows what they're on about to do it for you.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 09:56:17 am »
Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 12:12:10 pm »
oh and of course, to use a gun that will legally kill a fox you will need a firearms license.

And in order to get your firearms you'll need to have held a shotgun license for 5 years.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 06:32:58 pm »
And in order to get your firearms you'll need to have held a shotgun license for 5 years.

Not everywhere though - well, certainly not in Central Scotland. 

I was granted a shotgun license, and FAC with a fox calibre rifle at the first time of asking.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:34:49 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 03:49:08 pm »
I also would suggest gun club or find someone who can mentor you. Also get yourself an air riffle - not for the foxes, but you can get used to using it, zeroing the scope and handling.
FAC form is a bit of a faff, but I got mine no problem (Scotland). - took about 6-8 weeks, they phoned my two references, then an officer came for a chat and to inspect my gun cabinet. Needed a small alteration, which I made and then I was good to go.
It seemed to help that I have my own land to shoot on, a FAC holder who I'd sat next to lampung previously and who said he'd show me the ropes and that I'd used air riffles for a few years.
I like most types of hunting that I've done, fishing too, it feels very fulfilling and instinctive even though I came to it late - in my 20's and grew up a bunny hugger.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 04:26:09 pm »
A little distasteful/last resort but you could set snares

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 06:32:32 pm »
Or cage trap ?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 10:27:41 pm »
But then you've got a fox in a cage to deal with..?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 04:06:33 pm »
put your chickens away at night in a shed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS