Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using shetlands on the land  (Read 5150 times)

miniaturesabound

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Using shetlands on the land
« on: March 13, 2012, 06:39:22 pm »
 :horse:  I have several shetland ponies and I have now broken the older ones to harness with the intention of using them to haul stuff and harrow, they are so strong.
Problem is, apart from sweet little carts I can't find anything suitable in the way of implements for them to pull. Most harrows far too big. I was also hoping to find something suitable to load dung into but no such luck so far.
 Has anyone else tried? Any ideas?
"A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient horse walks in front of you, but a noble friend walks beside you"

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Using shetlands on the land
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:56:23 pm »
look at quad tools and adapt. there are the odd tool that comes up for sale on ebay. good luck we have two just about ready.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:55:31 am »
The Northern Tool catalogue is great for mini implements, some bit pricey but sturdy gear.
I have had ATV stuff from them to adapt for my little tractor(16HP)
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

miniaturesabound

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:15:40 pm »
Thank you for the tips - I shsll keep my eyes open on e-bay and farm auctions for such stuff. Happy driving with your two ponies.
"A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient horse walks in front of you, but a noble friend walks beside you"

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:37:49 pm »
The guy that had our land before us used an old rusty gate to harrow!!!!  Think he used a quad bike to tow it, but I know he did use horses at some point cause I found an old harness and lots of books on it. Good luck - lovely to hear about and I'm surprsied not more goes on.

confused

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 06:52:44 pm »
I would be interested to hear how you got on with the shetlands , great little pony's and your correct they are strong , my Grandfather had 2, Star and Bob, he used them for all sorts , carting seaweed from the beach, carting driftwood and seacoal from the beach, He had baskets that he had made and hung them over the saddles , and also used them for carting whelks up from the shoreline , i remember him with great affection walking up from the beach with his pipe hanging out his mouth, and the 2 pony's walking along behind him , time meant nothing to him , the only time i ever seen him rush was if i had arrived unexpectedly, when he would then say to Star and Bob " hurry up ! The laddie wants a hurl on yer back " , he never had a bit in their mouths , if he walked they followed , and if he went somewhere strange or wanted to work a wee bit ground he led them with a headcollar, a legand in his own time.   

nettie

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 09:47:07 am »

Many years ago I used to show and breed shetlands
     We had 3 working the land and a few people sent their deliquent ponies for us to work for the summer
   all have gone on to be fab driving ponies
      I think working the fields is good grounding for them
        I even joined the Midlands Working Horse group ... I took 2 ponies to do some snigging and they earned a brass  ;D

FoulaLass

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Shetland
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 05:04:30 am »
How did it go? I'm breaking my 3 fillies to harness and klibbers (pack saddle) this summer. I've got 2 geldings already broken to ride and work klibbers but would love to have them working the land too.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 07:33:33 pm »

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:33:23 pm »
How about a blacksmith, my one makes all sorts of things for people and if you could draw a plan of what you have in mind maybe a blacksmith could make it for you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS