Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How often do goats come in season?  (Read 2959 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
How often do goats come in season?
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:24:51 am »
My billy went off about 1 month ago for stud only 2 girls I belive they come in season every 21 days? But they want him there longer than they have already had him but I'm sure he would have done the job! He only ever gets 21 days with my nannies an never failed yet

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: How often do goats come in season?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:30:50 am »
Maybe they just want to be sure by holding him for 2 seasons? rather than faff about with movement restrictions etc. Took my nanny 2 seasons last year maybe as she was a first timer and needed some practise  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:36:15 am »
Dont forget that goats rarely come into season naturally after the end of January...........the natural period is early Sept to end January.
Your goat has probably stopped cycling until later this year..........so no male is going to be interested unless she is sponged/injected to bring her into season.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:43:01 am »
Having said that, our Savannah is in season right now and has a tail going round like a propeller, is driving poor Reggie the wether nuts (because he has none and just doesn't get it) and I think the neighbours need a rest from the maaaaa. maaaaaaaaa. maaaaaaaaaa. Hopefully this is it now till autumn - and I might let her have a little friend over next time...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 01:01:21 pm »
Well my kids/goatlings are still coming into season - but only for a day or so now. Adults are finished for the year...

Even if they come into season now it is so short that trying to mate them is quite difficult - and why would anyone want kids born August?

Now better to wait until late summer, then sponge/PMSG injection.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 02:22:15 pm »
They rang me having had ther number from a friend so I thought why not give me piece while all nannies kid :/ he mated on the day I dropped him off but the other girl is about 16 months old so be her first time!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 04:47:46 pm »
I am a cynical person so I would suggest you ask if you can visit him as you are missing him.  Just in case something has occurred with him that they aren't letting on. If all is well then let him stay if you are happy to, if all isn't well (lost too much condition/bad feet etc) then bring him home.
It is likely they just want to be sure but I would want to be sure also ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:56:47 pm »
Well with a bit if luck we'll be kidding mid july, which i have to say, given this years weather so far i am quite glad!
We've already got one early lamb, about a month early but considering how far north we are, we tend to hold these things back longer than those further south, so at the end of the day it really depends on where you are etc
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 09:08:31 am »
Oh that's not the outcome you wanted.... but at least she is happy.

My BT that kidded last week has just again come down with mastitis  :( , one quarter hot and lumpy. So her kids are off her (they would have come off anyway), and are on the bottle. Fortunately I still have two nannies running through so I will have enough goatsmilk for the kids once I manage to get some AB's from the vet... That goat has had her fair share of injections...

She's also managing to hold back most of her milk when I put her onto the machine, so it's handmilking and she has got very short teats. Doesn't like me ttouching her affected quarter either.... :(

Not a happy  :bunny: this morning.... 1st kidder due but no signs yet... oh and it snowed again last night... >:(

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 09:14:42 am »
On the question of how often do goats come into season - my GG nanny (running through and not mated) has just come back into season yesterday, after being out of it for about two months... :o . And she is very noisy.... ::)  It must be the cold weather that has brought that back on???? Anyone else got randy goats again? ???

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 09:52:55 am »
Yes - my 4 year-old (having a rest this year after two sets of twins) and my goatling are both back in and being very feisty.  Must think we've had summer and they missed it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS