Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats pee in my suitcase  (Read 9021 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Cats pee in my suitcase
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 08:14:42 pm »
At least yours is restricted to suitcase  Sally ...... my back bedroom stinks of cat pee this eve ..... but do you think I can locate the source?!?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 07:53:46 am »
Linda,
To be honest its not just the suitcase  :(
I think the suitcase issue is prior to our move, a year ago, thats how long it is since the suitcase has been touched. My guess is that she did it as I was packing, possibly because she was unsure about all the upheaval.
In the last few days she has pee'd in my handbag and in my egg basket. I've had to throw away a lipstick case, a leather wallet, a packet of mints. I thought the handbag was a right off so was going to throw it away but I dumped it into some washing liquid and its come out ok.  Don't think I can do that with a suitcase though. I am going to try spot cleaning it today.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 07:57:34 am »
Here's hoping you manage to get the smell out.    :fc:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 09:02:29 am »
We used to have a kitten that jumped over a litter tray to wee and poo in the bath (had to keep them in the bathroom at night as they were in and out the catflap otherwise or pooing in the house!) Wanted to scrub the bath with bleach but couldnt' as that apparently encourages them more so bicarb it was - never quite felt enough for me though and we now have a new bath  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 10:57:35 am »
I've read recently that a cat peeing in unusual places can be due to its having cystitis.  It goes off its litter tray as it associates the tray with peeing painfully, so looks for somewhere to pee that isn't painful.

I've also been told very recently that Go-Cat dried food is often found to be being fed to cats which develop cystitis... 

I have also had cats that took to peeing or even pooing indoors when the ground outdoors was not suitable for them to dig their holes or to pee on - frozen solid, covered in snow, too muddy.  I had one cat, Mixture, who used to come for a late night walk with me and the dog; one icy night he was trying to find somewhere to toilet and kept crying in frustration and running to another spot, trying to dig, crying and moving on.  It was hilarious at first but then we took pity on him and dug through the ice for him under a bush.   ::)

I guess that other reasons to make the cat unhappy to venture outside could also lead to indoor toiletting.

And yes, I have had several cats that insisted on a clean litter tray or it was too awful to be considered. ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »
I remember an episode of James Herriot from years ago, and he used coffee powder / granules to remove the smell of fox turd.... I tried it when we borrowed a friends gundog & she rolled in the stuff and really stunk - It did make a huge difference after I bathed her in it.  May work with cat pee.   
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 11:40:18 pm »
Apparently tomato ketchup works for vile smells on a dog's coat, but might make a bit of a mess of the curtains  :yum: .
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

furandfeathers

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 10:21:46 pm »
bicarb does generally work also white vinegar or zoflora  but its a question of which smell is worse with the zoflora their rose one smells like cat pee anyway! :)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 10:26:07 pm »
Our cat has taken to pee'ing in the 'new' dog bed even though he likes to sleep in it himself  ::) ??? ::) .   I'm forever washing it in a bio washing liquid but he still keeps doing it - little s**t.  I'm sure he's going senile, he must be about 13 or 14 now, bless him (grrrrrrrrrrr :rant: :rant: :rant: ).  Sorry Sally, that doesn't help you one iota.......but the bio washing liquid DOES get rid of the smell........if not the cat  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 10:59:48 am »
I washed the clothes in bio powder and they have come out as good as new so I was very pleased.  I tried some bio powder in the suitcase but its more difficult as I didn't want to soak it right through like the clothes.
It still smells but not as much. Anyway, when the weather improves (I am sure it will eventually) I have decided I will soak the case and then let it dry in the sun. If it ruins the case then so be it. I can't use it as it is anyway.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 11:35:52 am »
OK, so I decided to dunk the case (well its more of a big soft bag than a case) in the bath with lots of bio powder and left it to soak.
The case has been drying outside for a couple of days and the cats pee smell has completely gone  :thumbsup: . The only problem now is that case smells really strongly of washing powder  :roflanim: :roflanim:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 08:33:54 pm »
 :thumbsup:  well done....now to keep it out the case!!

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 05:52:52 pm »
Do you know what? All of these tales has just reinforced to me never to get a cat! I know my Border Terrible can be a little beggar for running off but at least she pretends to like me and she's never peed in my suitcase!
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 10:36:18 pm »
We've adopted an old girl Maddie who can't go outside to toilet as she's very frail and very, very deaf so we got a litter tray for her. The dogs enjoyed the delicacy of fresh cat poo  :P  so we bought another covered litter tray. Now the other two much younger and very able bodied cats come in to go to the loo and then go out again. I wasn't supposed to have to buy that much cat litter. Buggers. Lazy buggers.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 06:09:50 am »
That made me smile, Pedwardine  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS