Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sexing geese  (Read 2926 times)

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
sexing geese
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:19:21 am »
This has probably been asked before but I can not find a related posting. we have a flock of 12 toulouse geese and I am sure only four are layers, I want to cull all bar one male but dont want to risk killing the layers by mistake. We have an emdem sitting on eggs though she did not stay there long enough for them to hatch last year, incubated some and one of the older females 'adotpted' them when they were off heat

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: sexing geese
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:30:19 am »
There are Youtube videos on this which have been included in previous posts but it's something you do at day old or thereby otherwise it can be dangerous, you can hurt them.  Not sure about doing it when they're older - can't you tell by the size of the head, thickness of the neck or legs or behaviour?  We have Steinbachers so not quite the same as yours, the difference in ours is quite subtle but it's easy to tell at this time of year.  There are quite a few people on here who breed geese, if they don't come on in a few days maybe repost, good luck.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 10:52:51 am »
I find the ganders hold their heads/beaks higher a lot more often than the geese, and also the tone of the ganders voice is a bit more sharp and piercing. 

The other think is see who is sitting on the nest, grab them and ring them, or if they are laying inside somewhere could you rig up some kind of trap nest?

Or - like me - go for autosexing geese   White males with blue eyes - coloured females with brown eyes Easy life  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 11:10:25 am »
And the sex type if geese you have are? ducks and hens are so much easier to sex. I have tried plastic rings but the one male I did just took it off, I have been successful with two females so far but I get at least three eggs a day so there are more females out there. Tempted to keep the two females I have ringed, pick any one of the others for a male, one that tries to attack me when I shut them up, and then cull the rest. The Utube I found was not really that clear

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 08:30:43 pm »
If you're getting at least three eggs a day, surely you must have more than four females? I thought they laid generally every other day - a cycle of about 36 hours? I can't help with the sexing though - I also have autosexing geese which makes life much simpler - although I'd imagine behaviour must give you a few clues at this time of year? My goose is much, much more timid than the gander.

H

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 11:07:59 pm »
look up vent sexing geese can be done at any age and easy to do

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 08:46:52 pm »
I wouldn't fancy trying to vent sex my adult geese! I think they might take offence and I might come out a little the worse for wear! Already had one black eye from a girl who really didn't want to leave her nest in the hedge.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS