Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can pigs eat eggs  (Read 22361 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Can pigs eat eggs
« on: March 14, 2013, 07:00:10 pm »
Ok I have 10 chickens which lay everyday I would like to feed the left over eggs to my pigs I would boil them first of course then feed them shells and all. I'm just not sure If it's legal.
Thanks for you help
Regards
Chris

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: Can pigs eat eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:04:23 pm »
No not legal and if you were to feed them why would you bother to boil them first.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:23:07 pm »
Yes ! an egg is a good bit of non factory produced protein - or you could buy a sack of those pellet/nut things that you assume will be responsibly manufactured ( like Findus lasagne or Tesco burgers). Seriousley - if you are going to eat the eggs and eat the pigs what the heck if it is "illegal". Live a bit and give them an egg without worrying about the legality of it. :excited:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:15:41 pm »
Yes illegal and if you feed the pigs eggs you can be fined, however if the chickens lay their eggs inside the pigs pen they are responsible and they can be fined. (No chicken has been taken to court yet)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:48:56 pm »
Is the chicken responsible for leaving an egg in a vulnerable spot or is the pig responsible because he/she ate it - knowing that it's illegal  :roflanim: :roflanim:

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 11:25:47 pm »
I had a chicken who would lay in the pig ark all the time and the pigs would watch for her coming out then dive in to find her egg. Always caused a squabble.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 07:51:36 am »
To be very boring, the law relating to this
 This is illegal, and comes under the Animal By products regulations 2005.

It takes a bit of explaining, as you're allowed to feed some products containing eggs !

EU regulation 1069/2009 defines categories of animal by-product material - Article 10 defines category 3 materials which include under subsection k (ii)
“the following material originating from animals which did not show any signs of disease communicable through that material to humans or animals:
(ii) the following originating from terrestrial animals:
hatchery by-products, —
eggs, —
egg by-products, including egg shells...

So eggs are a Category 3 Animal by Product

Under The Animals By products regulations Part 3 section 9 (2)
“It is an offence to feed to any ruminant animal, pig or bird any other animal by-product
(unless it has been processed in accordance with the Community Regulation) other than—
(a) liquid milk or colostrum used on the farm of origin; or
(b) in accordance with Article 23(2) of the Community Regulation as applied by regulation
26(3) of these Regulations.”

The (b) relates mainly to feeding zoo animals and packs of hounds.

However the feeding of some foodstuffs containing eggs (as long as not from a kitchen or restaurant, as this come under catering waste) is allowed as long as they have been in an approved processing plant, or in a food manufacturers – in both cases they will have been treated to remove risk (ie cooked/heated!). If at a food factory they would need to have been treated in accordance with Regulation (EC) No.853/2004 (Food Hygiene Regulation). They cannot be sourced from a kitchen or from a retail or supermarket store.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 08:16:48 am »
Thanks for the detail and helping us understand how to keep on the correct side of the law when pig keeping. Interesting that eggs ( a by product) can not be fed to other animals BUT milk ( another by product) can.
On a less serious note - this means that eggs produced under community regulations can be given .  Cadburys Cream Eggs are legal then ! :excited:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:20:19 am »
Ok so we know its illegal but how would authority's actually know the pigs had eaten eggs - for example that were laid in the runs ect, except for seeing it on a farm inspection, or the owner or someone else informing them - as I'm sorry but pork is a very common meat in the UK so I would hardly expect DNA testing or something ect but I don't know after the horse meat scandal.

& I'm sorry so their allowed some products that have had processed eggs in? & milk which are still classed as by products - how does that work? Heck maybe if their not allowed animal by products which is fair enough & understandable, but maybe they should look at all grazers & browsers eating grass that was manure spreaded because surely that's a by product too?!

Also isn't there something similar with chickens? x

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 05:32:49 pm »
In truth they wouldn't know, until they got a problem like BSE ... Part of the reason that BSE came about possibly was because companies like tescos kept squeezing farmers on price so farmers looked for cheaper feed, chicken farms create massive amounts of chicken litter this is spilled seeds, manure and has a nutritional content and that was fed to cattle. Then the waste from cattle as in ground bones was fed to chickens. 

So all they are doing is being super cautious, and in truth I can't say I blame them.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 11:16:16 am »
I know its illegal, however my pigs love hard boiled eggs. We eat them ourselves so don't see why it is so frowned upon. If you are eating your own pigs and not selling the meat, then I think you should be OK. I would rather them eat our super fresh free range eggs than rely totally on food produced somewhere else and contains god knows what.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 11:17:28 am »
Well, you said it yourself, Its illegal. I for one won't be feeding them eggs although I do have an excess.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 01:22:17 pm »
Well done Bionic the voice of sense. It is illegal to feed pigs eggs end of story what gives anyone the right to break that law and in theory put the national herd at risk, that is not only pigs all livestock. I could not live with myself if I thought something I had done had resulted in FMD or similar.
It makes no difference if you eat the pigs yourself if they are infected with something that is airborne it will spread.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 06:20:55 pm »
We have three hens that have taken up residence in the creche area, sharing it with piglets (we had 11 from a rare Flame Large black sow a few weeks ago). It is an indoor/outdoor space and we cannot possibly stop the hens in the yard free ranging as they please.   We know they are laying as we have spotted the odd egg, and used to collect them in the first week.   Now - no chance ...those mini snorkels are onto them straight away, wolfed down in an instant.  Eggs for breakfast :).   :pig: :love: :chook:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 09:18:34 pm »
Hope this is not too off the thread but we have a wild rabbit visiting our meat rabbits and he/she has dug a whole in the duck 's quarters. I have been collecting the duck eggs ( too cold for them to sit) and they keep changing where they lay their eggs. Today I found their eggs in the wild rabbit's hole. It's hole is 6 inches away from the pigs run.
So if the wild rabbit had dug it's hole 6 inches further west and sat on the 3 duck eggs then the pigs would be eating rabbit and duck egg for breakfast. Nicht legal I guess. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS