Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Re-breeding?  (Read 2571 times)

pauljay

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Colerne Wiltshire
Re-breeding?
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:29:34 pm »

We have been very fortunate with our British Lops.  Two lovely litters (12 and 8).  We are planning to wean them in a fortnight.  It may seem a naive question, but how soon after weaning should we take them back to the boar.  Any advice would be welcome.  Many thanks.
Pauljay

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Re-breeding?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:06:51 pm »
The sow will come into season 3 or 4 days after weaning so technically she could be got in pig straight away. I think it's best to let her have a rest and get back into proper condition personally. How long depends on her condition at weaning time.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:12:50 pm »
Traditionally the sow is mated straight away - the longer you leave her the less likely she is to remain fertile, leading to (expensive) hormone treatment to bring her back to breeding condition.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:08:24 am »
A lot depends on when you next want and can cope with piglets!
If you breed her now you will get piglets in July which  :fc:  will fatten in time for Xmas pork, leave it later and you will have piglets to take thro winter, i work on it being a six month cycle i.r nearly 4 months pregnant and 2 months raising litter and work out from their. I try not to have piglets in early autumn as they can be a bugger to shift as no-one wants them thro the winter and aim my litters at jan mar & july, so long as you don't let your sows get fat it can be done.
hth
mandy :pig:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:05:02 am »
...just a reminder.... check with your abbatoir and butcher what their cut off date for Xmas kills is.  At ours it is late Nov. 

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:37:20 am »
Mostly mine go straight back to the boar after weaning. I like to keep the weight on them when they are with the piglets and at weaning they are in good condition to go straight to the boar.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

pauljay

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Colerne Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 07:02:20 pm »
Thanks everybody for the good steer on this. Your advice and experience is much appreciated.  Mme Jay and I can start to make plans for the next litters.   :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:
Pauljay

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS