Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wine  (Read 5849 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Wine
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:37:24 pm »
I read on another forum that81% of people polled give their chickens wine to keep them warm during the winter months either by putting it in the water or mixing it with their mash. Now I wondered if this might work for the pigs.  I used to send the pigs off to the abattoir in a slightly hung over state, until they (the abattoir not the pigs) complained. 

Wondered if anyone else had given their pigs or their chickens a  nightly tipple?

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Wine
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:25:08 pm »
Never chickens but I do know people who give pigs a tipple the night before the dreaded deed

Carole

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:55:20 am »
But how much - and is it wine only, is it red or white, sauverne or Chardonnay ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:21:38 am »
Exactly and would champagne bubbles get up Hilary's nose  (so much else does!)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 01:35:26 pm »
Seriously though, I wonder if my ex-batts would appreciate a wee drappie forbye.  They are doing well on their breakfast of rolled oats, honey and milk, warmed up with a little hot water, but maybe I should add some alcohol too?  IS it just wine - seems silly to open a  bottle just for them and I don't drink on my own, so would spirits be OK?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rich Tapestry

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 02:24:37 pm »
perhaps not give them the drink the night before, so they stagger off to the abattoir with a pounding headache and a driving thirst? Just a wee stiffner an hour or so before for a bit of Dutch courage?

Drink of choice would surely be cider?

Failing that, going to your GP and complaining of depression should free up quite a quantity of Diazapam. That would put a smile on their faces.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:35:10 pm »
Diazepam sounds great except is it organic?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 07:13:07 pm »
Never given alcohol to poultry or pigs - my horse enjoys the odd can of stout though. He's not great with the ring pulls though.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 07:32:14 pm »
The hooks get caught in the shoe nails

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 11:33:55 pm »
ROFL :)

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 04:58:25 am »
is there any evidence that the wine does keep them warm?  or have 81% of people lost the plot ;D :' best place for them to keep warm is the oven :chook: :chook:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 06:59:26 am »
Perhaps all that wine adds to the flavour  - coq au vin without having to add wine to the recipe?  Pork and cider, mmmm starting to like this idea. 

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 09:06:39 am »
I'd prefer to sit there with glass and bottle in hand and let them watch me drinking it!!

We have never given alcohol to any of the animals with the exception of the apple pulp after the cider making.  Our French neighbour has given it to us a couple of times for the pigs, but my god the fumes that come off of that makes your eyes water!  We mix it in with their food, and yes they enjoy it, but I have to say we use it sparingly.

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 04:18:25 pm »
I know that this is a relatively old post, but nevertheless I though I'd share an experience of my youth. As I recall all sick (with the 'cough') calves were given guinness slops from the local pub. They all recovered without a visit from the vet! Happy little calves they were too!  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS