Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatch day question  (Read 3250 times)

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
Hatch day question
« on: March 13, 2013, 06:53:29 am »
Morning all ,  I have 5  orpington banties in my incubator . Today is day 21 , one chick hatched during the night and another has pipped , so a little early . I can't see any sign of the other 3 starting just yet  . How long can I leave the hatchling in the incubator before moving to a brooder for feeding ?  I don't want to affect the humidity level , ( I candled all eggs again on day 18 and all looked the same ,well formed .) Many thanks.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Hatch day question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 07:19:17 am »
I'm an absolute beginner here but from the research i've done i think the chick can stay in the incubator for 24 hours but after that point it will have absorbed the egg yolk and, therefore, its supply of sustenance. I have read they can be left in there for up to 48 hours but fewer people seem to recommend this long?

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:26:47 am »
Hi,48 hours is perfectly fine I usually leave mine up to that,but I believe commercial hatcheries leave them up to 3 days.

Graham.
Graham.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:04:47 pm »
They'll be fine up to 48 hours. I usually remove them once there are a few to keep each other company and they're fluffed up nicely. It's also a good opportunity to take out all the broken shells etc to make a bit of room for the next ones that hatch.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:07:30 pm »
I agree with 48 hours. I tend to take chicks out when they are nice and fluffy and when they are hooning around the incy trying to get all their mates to hatch!  ;D
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 01:25:49 pm »
48 thours is fine, but make sure the hatcher is in the dark and the early hatchlings aren't running about using up their reserves.  A towel over the top is fine, just make sure you don't block up the air intakes
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 01:29:36 pm »
48 thours is fine, but make sure the hatcher is in the dark and the early hatchlings aren't running about using up their reserves.  A towel over the top is fine, just make sure you don't block up the air intakes

Thats interesting about the dark - I have a ceramic bulb in my lamp and I'm always worried that it's too dark in there (for them to see their food and water etc) - whats with the dark then, and how long do you recommend?  Thanks   (and agree with all above re above post (I leave them till fluffed and got company then do a very swift transfer - my hatch period has been over 3 days first to last)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:42:07 pm »
I use a dull emitter rather than a glass bulb so the chicks just get used to natural light and dark conditions from day one. Also the dull emitter I have has been in use for three years now with no problems. I'd be interested to hear how long glass bulbs are lasting people I was lucky to get a couple of weeks out of one.

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 02:26:57 pm »
Progress update - first of all thanks to everyone for the very useful comments . Two chicks now hatched and very lively , two eggs have pipped early this morning but not making much progress , they seem to have broken the shell but the membrane still looks intact - kind of rubbery looking . The 5th egg hasn't started yet as far as I can see . I'm reluctant to open the incubator and intervene just yet , but I have had chicks stuck in eggs before - how long should I leave them before helping ? I understand that there can be quite a long period between the first and the last . If I do remove the new chicks will the change in humidity be harmful to those still  to hatch ?     

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 02:48:58 pm »
I'd give the pipped ones longer, at least until tomorrow morning. It's very tempting to intervene too soon. Yes the humidity will drop as soon as you take the hatched ones out. And I've found that the hatched chicks do cheep and the chicks in the eggs will respond, maybe they are encouraging them to get out!
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 03:57:31 pm »
Chicks under a broody hatch in the dark and stay there till hungry enough to venture out. 

Old incubator/hatchers were covered in, with one small viewing window. 

Today's idea is total visibility meaning eggs hatch in light conditions thus early hatched chicks are encouraged to run about,  using up their egg yolk reserves more quickly than necessary.  I think putting in a dark cupboard or covering with a towel is better than having the early hatchlings moving about too quickly. 

Not saying I am right - that is just my opinion
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 04:13:13 pm »
Chicks under a broody hatch in the dark and stay there till hungry enough to venture out. 

Old incubator/hatchers were covered in, with one small viewing window. 

Today's idea is total visibility meaning eggs hatch in light conditions thus early hatched chicks are encouraged to run about,  using up their egg yolk reserves more quickly than necessary.  I think putting in a dark cupboard or covering with a towel is better than having the early hatchlings moving about too quickly. 

Not saying I am right - that is just my opinion

That makes TOTAL sense - I have a brinsea which is half perspex and yes they do run around a lot! So towel this time (and I am SOOOOOO excited to be having some of your cream legbars!!)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 06:52:21 pm »
Hi,good point darkbrowneggs.

Graham.
Graham.

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 07:20:59 am »
Well - four chicks have hatched ! I removed them into a brooder this morning and placed a tea towell over part of it ( as it's a transparent box .) They all seem to be doing fine - very noisy . The fifth egg hasn't hatched , I candled it again and the air sack looks quite big , so maybe a late death . I've popped it back in the incubator just in case . Many thanks for all the comments , I love this forum - we learn so much form each others experiences .

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 07:23:11 am »
yay thanks for update. I love 'egg watch' threads!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS