Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can lambs eat sugarbeet (soaked)?  (Read 5789 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Can lambs eat sugarbeet (soaked)?
« on: March 12, 2013, 05:12:03 pm »
7 of my orphan bunch have been out in the back garden since Friday. They have a shelter with a big of hay in (which they choose to lie on instead of eat!) and are weaned off milk and eating creep well. It's very cold here and looking to go wet over the next few days. They are fed creep twice a day but I was just wondering if they could have soaked sugarbeet as well- whilst they are getting to grips with grazing and the weather is bad? The soaked stuff you give horses... they are 6-7 weeks old... or would this not be beneficial?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Can lambs eat sugarbeet (soaked)?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:27:33 pm »
No reason they can't have it if they like it, I guess.  But not much, and not if it stops them eating the creep...  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 05:37:41 pm »
Some people say that males/wethers can get urinary calculii from eating sugar beet, However I used to feed it my mixed bunch as a winter feed before I was told...

I would put some cider vinegar into their drinking water, just balances the pH a bit. (If their water source is under cover and changed regularly.)

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:48:19 pm »
We give offer our lambs soaked sugar beet, they really seem to like it and I think it helps get them eating. They also have baby lamb creep in a separate bowl on offer adlib. I generally add vits/minerals to the sugarbeet.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »
Fab, thanks  8)  for what a bag of sugarbeet shreds costs I think it might be beneficial just whilst they are getting used to being outside. I picked the worst week to put them out and their pen is now home to my other batch of 5 orphans, plus they were a nightmare in  :-\  I've just had a good look at them tonight and they seem to be holding weight ok but am slightly worried about the wet weather that's coming- they are grazing in cold weather but the rain over the weekend meant they just sat in their shelter all day! so maybe some beet might be beneficial... I know with feeding it to pigs it can cause them to be fatty, this shouldn't be the case with lambs should it? They are being raised for the table...

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 06:09:00 pm »
Ha well that went down like a lead balloon! Got a bag of speedibeet  and mixed it in with their creep and they wouldn't touch it... so have left it there to see if curiosity gets the better of them tonight  :D 

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 06:45:19 pm »
Sometimes they don't like change. You might have to introduce it slowly. Would have thought the molasses would tempt them.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:03:13 pm »
Not sure that the speedibeet has the molasses added as it is a horse product so probably not as tasty for them as the molassed beet?  We add some soaked sugarbeet to our ewes feed whilst they are in the barns so the lambs get used to tasting the ewes feed and so are used to it if we take them from their dams to bottle rear ( have quite a few this year due to a lot of triplets being born).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS