Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Salix willow hedge  (Read 1939 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Salix willow hedge
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:19:12 pm »
Not sure I spelt it right but is this species of willow ok for goats? For some reason I thought I'd heard that one type was poisonous.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Salix willow hedge
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:42:33 pm »
Well all our local rabbits have been munching away at ours and they're all still alive. I've also fed trimmings to pigs and poultry. Never heard of willow being poisonous to anything but having said that I've never kept goats.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 03:11:18 pm »
salix = willow (latin name for willow) of which there are many ? hundreds of species - yours could be salix viminalis = 'superwillow', but I don't think any are particularly poisonous, plenty of people seem to feed willow to their animals

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:07:41 am »
Yes, we have various colours of salix scotsgirl, the goats eat all the cuttings - it is supposed to have some substance that you can also find in asprin I believe, but have never heard of anything being poisonous to goats, ours have been eating all our varieties and no problems.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

darylandgoats

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:59:13 pm »
I would say you have come across some misinformation, as far as I know all willows are edible and very much enjoyed by goats! ????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS