Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unsteady ewes after lambing  (Read 10067 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Unsteady ewes after lambing
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 04:52:14 pm »
My understanding is that with true Twin Lamb Disease, once the lambs have been expelled, the ewe is pretty much instantly recovered.

So I'd go along with the worms, general poor condition (it's been one helluva year for them all), or poss incipient milk fever.

Besides what others have suggested, a jag of Combi-Vit wouldn't hurt. 

What about fluke?  Lots of farmers have lost lots of ewes to fluke this year - fluke where it's not usually; fluke in seasons when it's usually absent; fluke even after flukicide given.  Loose poo, undiminished appetite - could be fluke.  Are they thin?  A bit puffy under the lower jaw?  If it's fluke, they'll be thin and could have the puffy lower jaw (but absence of puffy lower jaw does not mean it isn't fluke.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 06:26:17 pm »
What condition score ? do they have any milk ?  are they anaemic are the gums pink or grey ??

pastie4x4

• Joined Sep 2012
  • tavistock
    • jtp landscapes
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 08:46:42 pm »
thank u all calcium seems to of done the trick  :fc: will keep u all posted how they do

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 09:06:39 pm »
A calcium injection may give a short term boost but for 3 ewes to have the same problem would have me looking for the reason why                                                                                                                               some times the diet is lacking in calcium and it may help to feed limestone flour
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:20:23 pm by shep53 »

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 11:49:36 am »
One of ours couldn't even raise her head after lambing, she was the smaller "runt" of the flock. Vet said exhaustion and twins had taken alot out of her, gave her calcium and glucose. Vet then had to come out following day and treat for pnumonia. Keeping her in at night and looks like slowly getting better. Would defo recommend getting vet out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS