Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping a Car in the Field?  (Read 11762 times)

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
Keeping a Car in the Field?
« on: February 21, 2013, 03:50:57 pm »
Another legal/planning type question I'm afraid!

I have a small 4x4 car that I've kept to use soley on agricultural land.  Mainly for moving straw bales from my car (at the entrance) to the store, and general towing/shunting things about.
Technically unroadworthy as MoT has expired, and its declared SORN.

Is it ok, from the councils point of view, for me to keep the car there?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Keeping a Car in the Field?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 03:54:49 pm »
I'm not sure what their objection could be if it is mobile SORNed and being used for agricultural purposes. We have an old landrover which has been home converted to carry an ibc water cube as a water bowser, and have never had any issues with it. I don't know the legalities but I can't think of any objections unless maybe it is one of a lot of stuff that they think is unsightly.

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 04:30:36 pm »
At the moment there is a number of items including other cars that will be removed over the next month.  Basically I'm removing everything that isn't related to agriculture.

This would be the only vehicle kept on the land, other than an old Landy being used as a chicken coop. 

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:07:59 pm »
I'd not be a happy neighbour if someone kept an old car in the field next to me, but if you don't have neighbours then nothing to worry about, hopefully.  One of the village parks we use has an old Daihatsu 4trak with a roller on the back of it for doing the football pitch parked at the far side of the playing field.  I'd say it all comes down to who is going to see it, and how they view you.  If you're tidying up the land and bringing it back into productive use rather than storeage it will hopefully stand you in good stead.
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:21:02 pm »
I do also think an old Landy in a field somehow looks less jarring on the eye than a 'modern' vehicle, not sure why maybe the faded colours or the agricultural build /design of them.

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:25:32 pm »
The car in question is an '89 Fiat Panda... I don't do modern!

The land has been used for general storage and agriculture for 30 odd years, but was never changed from just agriculture, the bloke who lives next to it wants to buy it, and I turned him down flat, so he lodged a complaint to the council, hence the cleanup notice.

I'm getting shot of all non-agri items, but technically that car is used for agri.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:48:40 pm »
If I had a neighbour that complained about a vehicle in my field - I'd make sure I took the exhaust off and got it running at daybreak every morning ;) lol

Unfortunately the law always sides on the side of those with the biggest wallets and the least to do in their normal daytime routines.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 05:30:48 pm »
an 89 fiat panda. your kidding me. what the hell is it doing in a field!!!

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:34:44 pm »
Earning its keep as a worker until I have time to fix it up for road use!

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 09:43:04 pm »
Fiat panda 4x4's are useful little motors.  :thumbsup:
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Reg henderson

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 09:55:04 pm »
I know a farmer that kept getting cars crashing into his fences , he got fed up with this , so kept the cars till the owner paid for the damage . A lot of the time the owners told him to use the car as scrap to cover the costs of damage . He used to set them out in his fields as scare crows for a year before sending them for scrap , worked well

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 02:32:22 am »
To be honest - I'd try and clear the junk if any so the court action does not and cannot take place - it can then be strung along without recompence for a few more years.

There is really nothing anyone can do if you have a few vehicles for farm use - hell you could classify them as agricultural and drive them on the road under your own scutiny of sfaety. - we are not talking taking them onto a public road - sod em.

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 01:59:29 pm »
Yeah I'm currently clearing away the rubbish, and generally trying to tidy up.  But I'm reluctant to sell or pay storage fees on the Panda.  I'm going to have problems with the neighbour whatever I do, which means problems with the council!  But if everything is legal to start with it makes it eaiser!

pastie4x4

• Joined Sep 2012
  • tavistock
    • jtp landscapes
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 05:47:32 pm »
u might be able to register it as agricultural ring the dvla and ask i know a friend that runs a land rover like this

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 06:07:49 pm »
Yeah I did look at that before, I think I either have to convert it for a specific agricultural use (i.e. fit a water tank, pump, and spray boom), or remove all but the drivers seat.

But as the car never touches the public highway, I'm not sure there is much point... unless the council try and argue that it isn't agricultural...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS