Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to grow...  (Read 9566 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
What to grow...
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:34:52 pm »
I'm thinking about growing some forage for my pigs for the summer, just to supplement their diet.  Can anyone suggest any good things to grow? (sowing now)   Quick growing would be good, or something that you can pick and it re-grows.  The only problem is the location I have available to plant in is semi shade.

Any ideas welcomed :).

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: What to grow...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:00:39 pm »
I plant my pens with stuble turnip, grows in about 12 weeks depending on the weather and the pigs love it. They usually eat the leaves first and then go round digging up the turnips.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:15:35 pm »
I also grow a biggish patch of fodder beat for ours, not to let them forage over, but dug up for autumn-spring feeding. Biggest problem is getting a suitable amount of seed as its sold by the acre. A couple of years ago we split a bag on TAS which was great. Might try to organise that this year if I get organised at all!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:57:32 pm »
I read a John Seymour book recently, 'Fat of the Land' and he used to grow a big field of artichokes and let his pigs go and demolish the lot - don't think he fed them anything else if I recall correctly.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 09:12:39 pm »
If you want to harvest and store for later use fodder beet, turnips or swede maybe. For letting the pigs eat it in situ stubble turnip, kale, forage rape or maybe cabbage of some sort.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 08:01:28 am »
Hi,probably a stupid question but how do you store fodder beet.Sounds like a good thing to grow,I have plenty of animals that would eat it.

Graham.
Graham.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:08:53 am »
Beetroot ! It keeps well in the ground and can grow quite large. I cook mine up (sometimes with spuds) and they love the red water and beet. Looks like a bit of a blood bath after they have eaten it though.
To be honest I overplant whatever and wherever I can so I can give them a variety of food with their nuts. I even had them eating our excess melons last year.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 10:39:34 am »
We put Tamworths on the artichoke crop after harvesting what we could last year. They didn't like it at all but the Chinese geese ate the lot!
Is fodder beet another name for mangold/mangle worsel?
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 10:40:34 am »
This year I'm going to plant the areas that have been dug over by the pigs after they've moved on to fresh ground. I'm planning on growing stubble turnips, kale and probably some fodder beet and swede. The plan is to plant about half an acre at a time and hopefully be able to put aside a decent store of feed to eke out the bought in pig feed. The plan for storage is to put down some pallets, a layer of clean straw, then stack the swedes or beet and cover with a tarpaulin. Obviously a nice dry barn would be ideal but if I had a nice dry barn so many things would be ideal I couldn't list them all.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:41:42 am »
Fab, thanks for all the replies.

Where do you guys go to buy your seed for these things,  stubble turnip, kale, forage rape, fodder beet etc. ?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:53:51 am »

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:17:24 pm »
Brill, cheers.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:13 pm »
When do you need to sow the seed for mangold/mangle worsel.

Graham.
Graham.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 04:14:00 pm »
I planted borage in the pen when the pigs went off. Its a hungry herb that grows like a weed. The next batch of weaners loved it

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 04:24:12 pm »
Hemp is worth looking into. A good herbacious plant that livestock apparently love.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS