Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hand winchng my landy out of a bog  (Read 8417 times)

bealers

• Joined Dec 2012
  • North Shropshire
Hand winchng my landy out of a bog
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:30:19 pm »
Hello,

Like a right tit I drove straight across my land today - that'll be wetland, with lots of standing water and being generally squelchy underfoot - and I got a bit stuck. I spent about an hour trying to dig it out but gave up when I realised it has bottomed out.

I live 10 miles away so had to call my wife to come and get me. Very embarrassing..

Anyway, I don't know anyone with a massive 4x4 tractor so before I revert to having to hire one for a few hours I thought I'd try and winch it out.

I have a 3T tirfor and some chains/strops but what I don't have handy is an anchor point, it's 200+ meters from anything. So I was hoping for suggestions on how to anchor it. I know there's a solid piece of ground about 10m directly behind the current position and the current thinking was driving a big iron bar deep into that solid ground at an angle with a post driver. Do you think that'll do it?

Something like this, without the trees.
http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Recovery_Tirfor1.htm 

Any other tips? I'm heading back tomorrow.

Of if any of you happen to have a big tractor and live near Whitchurch, Shropshire, I'll buy you a pint or 10 if you come help me ;)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Hand winchng my landy out of a bog
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 05:08:25 pm »
Oh dear!  I did the same myself last year, so you're not alone!

Are you thinking about something like this then?

Tirfor Winch & Homemade Ground Anchor Recovery ( Frontera / Land Rover Off Road Day )

Do you know anybody else with another Landy to use as an anchor point perhaps?   Failing that, somebody who might own a decent sized boat anchor that you could dig into the ground?  Good luck in any case!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:59:40 pm »
Oooops  :roflanim: sorry couldn't help it. A good job there was a sensible woman to bring you home :-J

:fc: hope you get sorted tomorrow. We would help somehow if we were closer so hopefully some kind TASer will come to your aid  :fc:

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 09:37:08 am »
HI hope you are out if not put in a ground anchor - this could be a row of posts driven in to the ground at an angle away from the pull and then roped together with top to bottom - i.e start at the first post at the top and tie this to the bottom to the next post and so on to the post closest to the vehicle.

or anyother way is to dig out a trench down about 2 feet and 4 feet across then a sloping cut put a post cross ways in the trench with a chain/rope attached coming up the slope and fill in.

both these ways I have used, soil, clay, sand and snow (its amazing what you learn when working for the Queens Shilling)
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 12:20:42 pm »
Been there, done that. While driving around our very frozen fields a couple of years ago I broke through the icy crust into liquid mud underneath. Completely bottomed out the wheels were just hanging in the gloop. I drove an iron bar about 4feet into the ground behind the landy and hand winched it out. No drama really. Your tirfor should get it out no problem so long as you've got a bit of hard ground to put an anchor into.

bealers

• Joined Dec 2012
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 08:38:15 pm »
Thanks all.

I'm out! (after 10 hours of back breaking work in the rain)

I took loads of 6' fence posts, my trusty 2cm diameter iron bar, a massive home made maul, a post driver, a bag full of strops and shackles as well as my tirfor.

The anchor point, as suspected, was the biggest problem. It's a semi peat bog and it's been raining for week (yes, yes I *know*,  I really should have known better) so the anchor point even though being knocked in good and proper would shift. Through trial and error I ended up having to use 2x posts to 5' depth and the iron bar to get any purchase.

I was a good 300m from the more solid ground, I got a few breaks where I could drive 50m or so before digging in again, even so I needed 4 anchor points before I could scramble out.

Lesson learned! next time I'll go over in the quad.

@anderso: love the tying them together tip; I can see how that would help greatly.

@hughesy: shame about that lack of hard ground :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:27:53 am »
Well done Bealers!  You're out, and that's the only thing that matters. :thumbsup:

You also know how to do it again next time!  :innocent:

P.S. Love the blog. You guys have got so many of the same ideas we've got, it's scary!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 07:23:55 pm »
glad you're out  :yippee: - long bath to ease the back   

when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 07:37:27 pm »
 :thumbsup:  it must have been a nightmare, hope you ground some helpers  :fc:

Glad you are out safely.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 08:07:18 pm »
one of the comments is "Unbelievable piece of kit! - Got `bogged` down trying to shift a fully loaded 2tonne trailer across a field. Thought it would be a tractor job: but tried just on the off chance: my X-Anchor. With the winch connected up and the X-Anchor resting 20m away it dug in well and pulled not only the Landrover 110 out: but with the trailer attached as well(I forgot to disconnect the trailer). The anchor wasn`t on hard ground: but light marshland. You can`t be without one of these.... "

bealers

• Joined Dec 2012
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 07:56:10 pm »
@hassle, that looks like it could be a great piece of kit. thanks for posting.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS