Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Odd coloured Poo  (Read 1664 times)

Weaner

• Joined Jan 2012
Odd coloured Poo
« on: February 05, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »
One of my 8 week old weaners who has eaten identical food to the other 7 but is underweigh and failing to thrive has just produced a very pale,  sand coloured Poo does this indicate anything in particular ?
Andy

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Odd coloured Poo
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:58:45 pm »
Suggests liver disease or gut malabsorption to me. Is he eating well? Have you noticed if his urine is a different colour too?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:25:40 pm »
Worth consulting your vet?  This weather's challenging to any kind of stock, let alone young 'uns.  He may need a shot of antibiotic - fast.

Weaner

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:51:25 pm »
In answer to the first post, no she is not eating well and is noticeably smaller than her siblings.
Andy

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:17:12 pm »
Doesn't sound good, I'm afraid. I agree it would be worth having a chat with your vet, might be worth a shot of antibiotic and/or wormer, but it may well be an inborn gut problem and if so she's unlikely to do well.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:41:38 am »
First thing i would have suggested was wormer and also iron shot. Pale poo can be a sign of lack of iron uptake which is why we give our piglets accress to turf.
However if she is off her food thats not good and as the others say a jab of antibiotic may do some good as may a probiotic to help any tummy probs. Speak to your vet, telephone advice costs nowt! so make the call.
Hope she gets better soon
mandy :fc: :pig:

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:10:27 pm »
i would quarantine her from the others too.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 05:33:01 pm »
i would quarantine her from the others too.
tempting but this would only stress her further IMHO and make her go down hill even faster!
mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS