Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags  (Read 16564 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Ear tags
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:47:56 pm »
When we got our pigs they were ear tagged by the breeder before we loaded them into the trailer.  They have the metal tags that cup around the ear.  We thought at the time that she hadn't given much of a gap for the ear to grow into, but thought that maybe the tag wouldn't get caught so easily on things.

However, their ears bleed every few days and now Snuffle's ear skin (the larger pig) is starting to curl under as the metal tag is now too tight!  What should we do?  Is this normal? PANIC!!!!!!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Ear tags
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:53:21 pm »
we tried to remove our sows tag as its too tight and regularly bled. But just couldn't keep her still long enough, her ear then split so the tag is now looser, if it bleeds I just put purple spray on it. I wouldn't worry too much but you can try and get them out and then re-tag on the other ear, but its whether or not you can do a better job! I think sometimes these things bother us nore than the animals!!!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:35:45 pm »
I've been doing the same as you - when in doubt use purple spray!!  But I haven't had the confidence to try and remove the tag!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:50:11 pm »
You need some pliers but they're hard to remove, I'd leave them, good old purple spray!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:53:32 pm »
Has your sows ear folded inside the loop of the tag?  Does it damage the edge of the ear?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:42:21 am »
I have removed all of mine, oH does it with pliers.  Edwina has a huge great hole in her ear.  Am attempting to arrange for ear tattoos instead.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 09:07:21 am »
I bought a slap marking kit, but not had a chance to study it and mark the weaners!

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:15:56 am »
I had to tag my gilt when she went to the boar. When she came back it looked gunky where she had caught it,  cleaned it up with Hibiscrub and sprayed it each day. It wasn't improving, so I cut it out with horse foot trimming nippers - I tested them on a spare tag, before I tried cutting out the one in her ear. While she had her head down eating, I slipped the nippers around the 'post' of the tag and cut it out. I'm sure I was more relieved than her to see the back of the damn thing !
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 11:45:35 am »
I have a slap marking kit for sending the porkers off to the abattoir, didnt realise I could use it to mark weaners.  Could you explain it to me, would be grateful, thanks.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 01:40:35 pm »
Its the same thing, they dont need id under 12 months unless moved, (temp paintmark) or for slaughter then double slapmarks, or an eartag, I used to tag but will slap them now, and if I sell any as weaners I'll ask if they want them slapped too save them having to tag.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 08:14:00 pm »
How long does a slap mark last for?  If a 9 week old weaner was slapmarked would it still be visible by slaughter.  Also is the green tattoo paste definitely visible on black skin?  I wish we had said no to the breeder when she tagged them!  You live and learn!

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 11:01:05 pm »
we use plasic button tags on breeding stock. I hate the metal tags, they make such a mess of the ears. We only metal tag pigs the day before slaughter

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 11:14:41 am »
So far here, the abattoir we use has always been happy with just a slap mark.  Hope it continues.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 01:09:02 pm »
Once slap marked its permanent! I have green ink as mine have black spots, I'll let you know how well it shows up once i get round to doing them!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 05:01:43 pm »
On the carcasses if done properly its clear even after the dehairing process. 

On another site someone was mentioning electronic tagging for sheep.  Does anyone have any info on this please.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS