Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Profit from Alpacas  (Read 25353 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Re: Profit from Alpacas
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 08:12:53 am »
Will pm after work today once I have worked out how to - I am new to forums  :)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 11:04:27 pm »
I personally think that llamas make better guards for sheep and goats certainly, I am not sure that either will be much good at protecting chickens unless they live in the same area! You can also use llamas as pack animals for going on walks and picnics as well as being able to use their fiber *although it is not as soft as alpaca. Llamas are cheaper and most tourists will not be able to tell the difference anyway!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 06:50:37 pm »
 Donkeys are also excellent at guarding sheep and poultry. They do NOT like strange dogs (or foxes) in their field. I have quite a job gathering the sheep when they are grazing the donkeys as the donkeys try and chase my sheepdog.
Also, donkeys are incredibly people friendly, and don't spit at those they don't like.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 08:02:00 pm »
One of my neighbours has spent a small fortune on them but is now practically giving them away. They are beautiful, I do not think I could  take one to slaughter. Having kept a fair number of different types of animals I think pigs are easy, low cost and if you make a mistake you can eat it. I do fancy a water buffalo so if you know of anyone with some for sale.

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 09:45:15 pm »
Hi

I have a clearer idea of what I want (although not clear enough to buy just yet), but the plan is to just get alpaca's as a tourist draw so only 3 and am looking/waiting for the right ones to come my way (I am aware that people are just starting to get out of alpaca's, the income isn't there for everyone, but cost of keeping them doesn't stop) I have a limited budget but need to make sure the ones I get have good fleeces (for me to use), have been handled alot and are the right temperment (hopefully halter trained), and I want 3 different colours.

So no rush, winter is on its way so I will only buy if the package is right for what I want long term, (they live along time).

It was suggested on this forum when I asked a while ago that goats would be a better option for milk, cheese and soap, although they require daily attention which I can't give just yet so another idea to ponder a while.

Love this site, soo much useful advice, where else would a new smallholder turn for advice and ideas.

K

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 12:29:08 am »
At least you're still on the same track. I've now abandoned the idea of alpacas all together. Latest plan is vineyard - south west facing, gently sloping chalk downland, good climate, hoping it makes more economic sense and is just as much a holiday cottage draw!

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 08:57:08 pm »
Well if the wine is good ill come and try (my favourite pass time = wine).

K

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 08:11:49 pm »
Just thought I would bump this. 

Very sad.  Went to Sedgemoor (Bridgewater) auctions on Thursday and they could barely give away both alpacas and llamas :( :(
2012 born females with cria at foot went for 50 guineas and a 2009 white female for 20 guineas.  Bought by farmers having a joke with each other.  One man next to me said it was worth it just to cut them up and see what they were like :'(

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 12:36:37 am »
That's so sad to hear  :'( .  It was pretty obvious it was coming though. I had a subscription to Smallholding Magazine a few years ago. The classifieds had two columns of pigs, two of hens and a page and a half of Alpacas.

I'm sure those at the top of the pyramid did very well, and I'm sure others nearer the bottom have been very happy not to make a profit, but I imagine many ventures must end in tears.

I recently had a similar discussion with a friend about Zwartbles, and whether they might be similar. Now there's something to discuss!!  :stir:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 08:12:38 am »

I recently had a similar discussion with a friend about Zwartbles, and whether they might be similar. Now there's something to discuss!!  :stir:

i remember when mangalitzas were £300 each.....not anymore. its just supply and demand.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 06:32:20 pm »
I always wanted to keep alpacas for their fibre and as pets - ended up with sheep as OH could see them on the table :yum: .  I can cope with that now :relief:

But having read more about the TB problems, we won't be getting any alpacas.  We have 3 beef farmers surrounding us and I think we would become lepers ::) .  And the badgers are down in the woods :innocent:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 10:15:32 pm »
someone down here in cornwall is making alpaca sausages to great acclaim.

Sorry Bramblecot to hi-jack your thread but have just spotted a dear friend, Deep in the Woods! Dave, where have you been and why a guest?  Are you and Ellie alright? E-mail me.....lookfarpenny@hotmail.com

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 10:25:03 pm »
Forgot to say, it's me, Sylvia

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 04:59:14 pm »
Not my thread Sylvia ;D . No sign of DITW this year :-\ .

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 05:23:26 pm »
Not my thread Sylvia ;D . No sign of DITW this year :-\ .

He's still alive and kicking, just not on here any longer. Try Facebook...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS