Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I feed sheep food to my pigs?  (Read 13956 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Can I feed sheep food to my pigs?
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:34:07 pm »
Hello. Happy New Year.
I have 3 kune kunes who would eat anything given the chance (gate, fence...) but I feed them on pig pellets and fruit/veg.
However, I recently bought some ewe rolls for my sheep, which the sheep refuse to eat. They're big things and my sheep are too lazy to chew....
It was suggested that I give them to the pigs as a treat (not to replace the pig pellets) but I'm not sure about this.
Does anyone else ever do this?
Or am I a bad mother for considering it?
Thank you
Joanne xxxx

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Can I feed sheep food to my pigs?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:26:43 pm »
Whilst the balance of nutrients will not be right, you can feed sheep food to pigs, so as you suggest as a suplement will be fine.

Feeding the other way round ie sheeps with pig food is more difficult, as pig food has a higher copper content, and in some cases can cause significant issues to sheep.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 05:30:27 pm »
Yes!...but they won't like them! My pigs eat almost anything but their least favourite is.....sheep nuts!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:42:32 pm »
Hi JMB :wave:
I had to buy a couple of bags when my feed supplier had run out of pig food and it did them no harm for a couple of days, mixed with the last of the pig food.
Maybe you could mix a small amount with the normal pig food until it was done and my pigs scoffed them up ;D
Pauline

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 06:42:49 pm »
I would check with the supplier as all sheep foods are different.  I know of one that is explicitly suitable for sheep but the manufacturer of another was not happy to endorse its use for pigs.

Having said which, a few rolls mixed into a bucketful every day until it's all used up is unlikely to be sufficient to cause many problems... ;) - but don't quote me.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 09:03:11 pm »
I would check with the supplier as all sheep foods are different.  I know of one that is explicitly suitable for sheep but the manufacturer of another was not happy to endorse its use for pigs.

Having said which, a few rolls mixed into a bucketful every day until it's all used up is unlikely to be sufficient to cause many problems... ;) - but don't quote me.

The contents lable on our sow & weaner and the sheep nuts is almost identical... :thinking:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

cleopatra

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:47:22 pm »

yes but not vice versa.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 09:56:05 pm »
If you read the labels you'll find that they're pretty much made of the same stuff. While they might not be the perfect mix for pigs it certainly won't do them any harm in short term use.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:28:06 am »
I asked a simular question a while ago http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=28173.msg279514#msg279514
Mine loved them and infact ate the lamb feed before the pig nuts
Graham

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:50:50 am »
From a sheep perspective: If your ewes wont eat ewe rolls then they aint hungry enough.... :P

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 12:54:11 am »
From a sheep perspective: If your ewes wont eat ewe rolls then they aint hungry enough.... :P
I do agree! :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 10:17:53 am »
they should be fine on them quite often the only difference is the mineral content . this would perhaps cause problems to intensive pigs standing on concrete if it was there only food long term . the ewes must be super spoiled if you went into one of my fields with a bag youd be lucky to get the empty bag back  :D

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 12:12:24 pm »
Thanks very much for all your replies.
And you are right about my sheep- they are spoilt and fussy eaters
Joanne xxxxx

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 01:34:30 pm »
they should be fine on them quite often the only difference is the mineral content . this would perhaps cause problems to intensive pigs standing on concrete if it was there only food long term . the ewes must be super spoiled if you went into one of my fields with a bag youd be lucky to get the empty bag back  :D

LOL....same with my sheep!!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS