Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ashford Carder or Classic Carder  (Read 7211 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Ashford Carder or Classic Carder
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:33:51 pm »
I've just sold something so I can treat myself to a carder  :excited:  I have been looking at the Ashford and the Classic. What are the pros and cons of each?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
Re: Ashford Carder or Classic Carder
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:29:22 pm »
Hi, I have got a Ashford carder, which I love nut I have never tried a classic carder. Thought I'd have a quick look to see the difference and came across this.... 

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=18598.0
[/size]
Hope it helps  ;)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:26:54 pm »
That's  :excited: :excited: CC.  I'm sure whichever you go for, you will love it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:03:32 am »
Have a look on Ravelry - this gets discussed quite a bit (see UK Spinners, Beginning Spinners and Fiber Prep for starters) and I have to say, UK spinners always seem to come down pretty heavily on the side of the Classic.

There are at least two people on here have recently bought Classic carders - are you still in lurve with yours, quiltycats?  Bionic?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:30:40 am »

There are at least two people on here have recently bought Classic carders - are you still in lurve with yours, quiltycats?  Bionic?
Yep, I still lurve my Classic carder, although never having tried an Ashford I wouldn't know the difference other than price.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 11:46:06 am »
I used an Ashford drum carder for years then sold it to a local friend when she got the spinning bug.  This gave me the excuse to buy a Classic.  I was very impressed with the service from the Classic man, who even picked out one with nice whirly wood for me.   I haven't used it all that much yet as my last spinning project was using bought tops, but I am about to card several fleeces over the winter - so ask me again in three months  ;D
I think there is not much difference between how they function, but I love the care and craftsmanship which has gone into the Classic.  I love working with wood (as well as wool) so it's good to know that a tool I am using has been lovingly crafted by a master.  With something I am using every day (like spindles too) it is good for the soul to use special tools.   Having said all that I found the Ashford did the job perfectly so my only reason to change was for the quality of the Classic.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 05:27:22 pm »
Cool - I was veering towards the Classic so I think that will be the best choice  ;D

Now to wash all those fleeces so I can get felting - I'm going to be busy
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 06:01:37 pm »
Go for the Classic - I think it is quite important to support home-made stuff and not cart it half-way round the world. My Classic is well made and works brilliantly too, never tried an Ashford though. I also found the service excellent, I got to choose the wood! Go for the local one!

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:08:41 pm »
Have a look on Ravelry - this gets discussed quite a bit (see UK Spinners, Beginning Spinners and Fiber Prep for starters) and I have to say, UK spinners always seem to come down pretty heavily on the side of the Classic.

You rang ??? oh yes yes very much so..it is in almost daily use. of course I havent used an Ashford so cant do a comparison but mines lovely..I should give him a name...mine is a boy btw  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 09:08:21 pm »
Good to have a fella working for you.   :innocent:

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 09:18:05 pm »
Well it cant be a female  :thinking:...even my legs aren't as bristly as it is.. :roflanim:

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 11:10:10 pm »
even my legs aren't as bristly as it is.. :roflanim:

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 12:17:25 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 01:04:20 am »
I have a Classic Carder  :excited: :excited:, I very much like it but am not very experienced with carders. And I second buying British

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS