Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Commercial pig farmer wants to go rare breed!  (Read 12485 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Commercial pig farmer wants to go rare breed!
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 12:24:41 pm »
A few years ago I worked for asda's main supplier of lamb. They were screwed at every turn by the supermarket and they had to pass this on to their farmer suppliers. The farmers had signed contracts to supply which they couldn't get out of so were forced to sell their lambs at a loss further into the contract when costs had changed etc. The company in question was totally dependent on asda so if they had lost the contract they would have gone bust. Who in their right mind would want to get into that kind of situation?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 01:18:39 pm »
Dan, my kids have just been on an educational farm trip - these are fantastic fun, our kids LOVED it, but it is done by farmers here on a voluntary basis periodically throughout the year, they do it very professionally but it is not profit making at all, all voluntary. 

Reading your post it's easy to sense your passion and enthusiasm and I'm sure you are the type to work your socks off.  Perhaps the best way forward is to avoid the supermarkets altogether and go for the local butcher in every high street - people still like to shop there.  Or perhaps get your own shop - say open 3 shops so you start to get a name in other towns too.  People love the butcher / deli / veg / wineshop thing - a nice shop  where the quality is always excellent and its an uplifting experience - a place that isn't a supermarket. 

You would have to start in the right sort of town to get your reputation (would cost more but be worth it for the reputation).  A tiny cafe on the side always works too, people are always hungry and want a pork roll with apple sauce etc.  You need to get right on the high street, like other posts have said, the supermarkets will eat you alive.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 02:35:20 pm »
Hi Dan,

It would be interesting to know if these people are represented on the forum but this website looks to be along the lines you are thinking of and appears to be working for them.

http://www.scottsfieldpork.co.uk/

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 03:30:50 pm »
Many thanks for the explanations PigManDan.  Just what I needed - Tamsaddle

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 06:11:55 pm »
Hmmm. After reading all about their "rare breed pork" it states on the next page that they cross their large black sows with a duroc boar.  :(   Nothing against crossing but you can't call it rare breed unless it's pedigree.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:19:46 pm by hughesy »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 01:16:22 am »
Personally I'd say that if both parents are rare breed, then it's rare breed.  But I don't know if there are Trading Standards rules which define the use of the term?

Duroc isn't a British breed, is it?  Personally I would be happy to see - and buy and eat - GOS x OSB, for instance, advertised as rare breed, but wouldn't want to see GOS x Pietrain or OSB x Duroc marketed the same way.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 01:37:02 am »
Pigman ,
 I ran my own small mammal farm for the pet trade years ago .
I researched genetics etc and thought about breeding  super numbers from prolific producers.
What I actually found was that the creatures that gave high numbers of young for their species which were above the average sized litters did not infact carry on giving high numbers , the stock was also weak if used for breeding
We used to run all matings via a spreadsheet system and it soon became apparent that certain blood lines  with average litters when inter bred consistantly gave high litter numbers .
Once we understood why we never bred from the high number litters but grew them on for sale instead

It was the same for all our species,  all nine species of them
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

PigManDan

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 05:09:07 am »
Hi Dan,

It would be interesting to know if these people are represented on the forum but this website looks to be along the lines you are thinking of and appears to be working for them.

Pete

Thats what im thinking of, somthing similar, I have it all planned out, in my head anyways!

Also, thanks again for all you're comments, The supermarkets are somthing I would be steering clear of, unless there was scope to one day develop a deal. We currently supply to the supermarket but have created other markets, we sell our pork to all of Melbournes big resturants, we also sell suckling pigs that are sold through local and regional butchers, they do really well! The mass market I was thinking of would be exactly that, deli's, butchers and not just local ones, I would try to supply butchers and deli's away from where my production base would be. And there is always the option to bring the finished product, in the form of a hog roast food van to all large scale events. It's pretty much free marketing!

And the last thing I want to do is stop other people from producing rare breed pork. The only way we are going to get herd numbers up and keep bloodlines pure is by having more of these fantastic little animals around our country.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS