Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When does a cockerel start to crow?  (Read 8161 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
When does a cockerel start to crow?
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:31:41 am »
My 4 chicks are now 18 weeks old. Boy, that time went fast.
I have 2 french copper marans and 2 wyandottes.  The marans are fairly small birds and more timid than the wyandottes. One wyandotte is just a bit bigger than the marans whereas the other is much bigger. In fact bigger than all of my adult chickens. I suspect this is a cockerel but other than size I can't see any differences. If this bird, named Gonzo, is a cockerel when will he start to crow?
From my limited knowledge any of them could be cockerels but so far no crowing at all.
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

deepinthewoods

Re: When does a cockerel start to crow?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 10:52:26 am »
i think it varies upon the bird and their maturity, one things for sure, youll know soon enough!! my last ls cocks were about 21/22 weeks.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 10:57:41 am »
Around the time the hens come into lay was what I was told, so around 22 weeks. But as DITW says, you'll know soon  ;D

Another tip I was given is to look at the feathers, apparently the cocks have much sharper points at the end of them and the hens are more rounded (I don't know how accurate that is though and if it varies from breed to breed?)
The other thing I was told is to look for 'spurs' on the legs (indicating a cock) but I found that one really tricky  :-\
HTH
Karen x

the great composto

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 11:30:04 am »
Do you have any other crowing cockerels around?  I found mine crowed sooner if they had another cockerel around (showing them what to do). 
When I say crowing the early signs were a bit of pathetic squawking.  This lasted for 2-3 weeks before they got the hang of it.   Mine were 18-20 weeks.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:44:29 am »
they tend to walk differently as well.
our cockerals have all crowed before their sisters have laid eggs
:)
Mx

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:23:20 pm »
No other cockerels around. I definitely think Gonzo must be one but he just doesn't know it yet.  ;D Looks like I should know for certain in the next month.
thanks everyone
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 12:29:18 pm »
Our Large Fowl Wyandottes start crowing as early as 8 weeks. The latest was 12. But be aware Bionic that usually only the top cockerel can crow by order of rank. The lower ranks will be knocked into place and stopped. The top cockerel may not yet be crowing but will prevent the lower ones from doing so. The earliest crowing cockerel is our latest batch of Brown English Leghorn Bantams at just 3 and a half weeks! The slowest was our pet Buff Orpington and his son at 26 weeks and one day. Up to that point they walked and looked just like hens. After the first 'cough' they stood upright and their combs and wattles grew very quickly. Just a couple of weeks before the hens started laying.

We also had Wyandottes that initially grew much faster than others, which subsequently caught up, but never entirely. Hopefully though, Gonzo is the only late developing cockerel.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 12:54:17 pm »
I find cockerels tend to mature earlier than pullets, usually trying to crow and showing male behaviour from about 18 weeks or so. Certainly by that age with most breeds it's obvious which are which.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 01:08:11 pm »
The other helpful indicator, if you've two or more of the same breed and think 1 or more may be male, is to compare the sizes of feet.  Cocks always seem to have bigger, clumsier feet than their contemporary pullets.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 01:17:44 pm »
Too early ! ;D
Ours fell off his perch some weeks back and since then I get what amounts to an extra nights sleep every week.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 02:44:08 pm »
I think it depends a lot on breed, with some breeds maturing much quicker than others. Oue pekins crow at about 4 wks, Friesians around 10 wks but RIR's are much older ..... don't tend to look at dates but I think 20 odd wks or so. I can sex the breeds I keep but found my fathers wyandottes (rosecombs) difficult. In the end they were all cockerels so it didn't help that you didn't have both sexes to look at/compare. The boys tend to be much redder than the girls, with bigger combs and wattles and they have a more upright stance.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 04:41:34 pm »
surprised to see nones said 5am but now i have  ;D

oldhinton

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 12:53:40 am »
Anytime from about 18 weeks, you can usually spot a cock bird by the way they stand, from quite an early age, they have a more agressive and squared up stance, feet wider apart and of course generally stockier build. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS