Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potato peelings????  (Read 31763 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Potato peelings????
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2009, 04:33:15 pm »
When you get your numbers etc from Defra and Animal Health you will get lots and lots of information regarding all aspects of pigs and keeping them.  So plenty to read when that arrives.

I'm quite new to pig keeping too, but have got loads on useful information on here.

Pigs are fantastic....You will love them!
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2009, 04:55:56 pm »
Janette1970,  its not complicated, mostly common sense, but you mustn't feed anything thats possible contaminated with meat, and as far as defra is concerned thats Anything thats been in your kitchen!  I get spoilt fruit and veg form the grocers for my pigs but never feed them scraps from our kitchen, I know some folk do thats up to them, but I dont  ;) read all the gumpf they send you or you can download from the dfra website 'information for new pig keepers' it will give you guidance regarding feeding, tagging , movements etc.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2009, 07:35:15 am »
The french have a more selective attitude.  Pick and mix the rules.  That applies to just about everything. 

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2009, 01:19:04 am »
What an entertaining thread!
Reading through this riotous conversation after a week of R & R and thus feeling completely chilled out - It reminds me of the constant inner conflict that I experience being a local government officer with responsibility for public well-being and the public pound etc at work and a middle aged anarchist when I get home.
No wonder I need live with nature. The whole arguement seems to centre around the the same type of principles used in the vaccinate don't vaccinate children debate.
I got myself into a bit of a knot over that one until I spoke to me good friend who is a GP
She said that from a population perspective vaccination is the only answer and as a GP she can only support it.
As a mother knowing the risks to her child with regards to vaccination she has to make a personal decision. In part this decision is based on her knowledge of the percentage of the local population vaccinate and therefor what the personal risk is for her family if she did or didn't. I believe that she did vaccinate - but she left me with the feeling that my decision was mine and had to be based on my assessment of the risks, personally and for society.
I didn't get my children vaccinated but now they are teenagers, fully grown and able to cope with the vaccine, healthy and likely to travel and increase their risks - I am taking them for their jags.
It was a good conversation and a good question.
kirsty

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2009, 10:01:31 am »
The problem with your position on vaccinating children, Marigold, is that if everyone made the choice that you did we would be back to epidemics of Measles and Mumps. Vaccination only works if everyone does it. We are now in a situation where there has been a dramatic increase in the incidence of Measles and Mumps (following a period when they had been all but eradicated from this country) leading to unnecessary and entirely avoidable deaths. This not only creates a risk for those who have not been vaccinated as the vaccines for some of these diseases do not last forever. Whilst you can frame this question as one of personal choice and individual freedom the reality is that to not vaccinate is an incredibly selfish choice which impacts on us all.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2009, 10:06:22 am »
thats harsh and off topic

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2009, 10:32:42 am »
Agree

You could place a new subject in Coffee Lounge Rorsa - I am sure lots of us would like to chat about vaccines

Julie

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2009, 11:59:29 am »
And I thought this thread was about potato peelings ;D

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2009, 06:28:00 pm »
Sorry folks didn't mean to start another debate. I will feed my pigs potato peelings cooked in their own pot when I am sure that they have not been in contact with any meat product. I may set up the camping stove to do this separately. We cook on calor gas anyway and I don't like cooking the chicken mash in the kitchen cos it is not very appetising. So.............
kirsty

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2009, 06:43:22 pm »
dont go over board. if you want to boil a few peelings for them do it. but just make sure the animal health don't see you. 

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2009, 10:45:18 pm »
thats harsh and off topic

To be fair, he/she was only replying to the previous post. There's no need to pick on the person replying to a post about it being off topic.

Beth

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2009, 06:00:17 pm »
having had to make the same choice six times i dobt for a minute that they are being selfish in not treating there children. i may have the oposite view to it than them but they are trying there best for there kids. but this is about potato peeling as a food for pigs. so it is off topic on both posts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS