Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: jersey cow  (Read 4203 times)

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
jersey cow
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:05:42 pm »
Hi how much does everyone think a jersey cow in calf is worth at min?
Or how much are they selling for in your areas? im in somerset. :cow:
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: jersey cow
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 11:00:26 pm »
Alright Z,

is this the one in the BlackmoreVale magazine? We got Betty Boobies and Moo bags for £400.  It depends on what number calf she's on, what she's in-calf to and how long she's got to go before she calves. Betty was on her third calf and the mooster was 4 weeks old when we got her, they were cheap because she had a shot away udder that has actually tightened up nicely but wouldn't cope with commercial milking much longer. We've made our money back on her with the sale of Moo last week (£638! wish I'd taken her the week before as they were going for silly money but it's better than a kick in the gonads) and then some and she's just calved a beautiful little BB X bull calf (Valentine). So, she's pretty much in the profit zone. We're waiting on another calf for her to foster on as I'm probably back to work after Chrimbo and I don't think the Mrs. will have time to be milking her off as much as I do.

p.s. Fox has had 20 chickens. Bastard.

Jon

colfarmer

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 07:27:28 pm »
I got a in calf jersey with her calf and another at foot for £600 a couple of weeks a go at newark market, hope this helps  :)

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:36:39 pm »
yea that sounds roughly what they have said they would want for her, she seems very sweet natured and not to worried when the farmers other cows escaped from field she stayed put with the horse and very tame for a cow on a farm with so many cows sheep ect.

jon we brought aload of chocks 20 of them that where being fattened for meat and all bar 6 have just dropped dead(wont be buying any more from there) and what ever it is hasnt affected any of the other chickens. the 3 we brought from you are real nice and fat and the brown one is still laying in this weather lol
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

cleopatra

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:50:09 pm »

jon we brought aload of chocks 20 of them that where being fattened for meat and all bar 6 have just dropped dead

meat/broiler birds often drop dead due to poor hearts as they grow so quick.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 07:09:57 pm »
meat/broiler birds often drop dead due to poor hearts as they grow so quick.
[/quote]

didnt realise that lol although they dont seem to of grown much, but will def stick with warren hens next time lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS