Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fox control  (Read 16710 times)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
fox control
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:31:05 pm »
has any one any advice on the type of firearm suitable for fox control and ocassional rabbit? dont know a thing about guns but have no choicce

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: fox control
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:08:03 pm »
You are in the hands of the local constabulary on this, and they don't all agree.  Assuming you meet the criteria for possession of a firearm (and they will probably want you to undergo a period of training with a club) then they will either permit .22 or .17 for small vermin. 

It's easier to get a shotgun certificate but its is a pretty bad idea for foxes and not that reliable for rabbits unless you can get really close and don't mind waiting a very long time between shots.  There are silenced shotguns available but they're a bit clunky.

.17 is a more expensive version of .22 but the bullet goes much faster (so flatter trajectory) and fragments on impact rather than going through the target and hitting the bloke standing 400m behind it.   But I believe it is much easier to silence a .22 which gives you more chances.

Talk to the firearms officer and see what he's happy with. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:47:59 pm »
Can you not get a local stalker/gamekeeper to come out and help you?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:57:16 pm »
A .22 is a bit small for foxes, IMO - I think the most popular calibre is .22-250 rem. Not sure, but I think my neighbour uses his .243 most of the time for foxes.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:02:48 am »
has any one any advice on the type of firearm suitable for fox control and ocassional rabbit? dont know a thing about guns but have no choicce
trefnantbach, if you know nothing about guns then you need to join a Gun Club and learn to shoot one before picking one up and pointing it at a fox or other live animal.  Once you've learned to handle one then hopefully you or your new friends at the Gun Club will know enough to help you make the choice of one to own.

In the meantime, contact your local Hunt to discuss fox control.  They will probably also be able to advise on local ferreters or other folks who can undertake a bit of rabbit control for you.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Laurasfarm

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Wigan
    • Laura's Organics
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:01:29 am »
Try your local gun shop for advise too.

They and other local enthusiasts will happily come and shoot for you.

We had a fox as well as other vermin.  A couple of young lads helped us. We signed to say they had permission to shoot on our land, they got to shoot and we got a problem solved. All by mutual agreement and cost nothing.

I had my husband peeing on the boundary for weeks, apparent fox deterrent.  Tried tested, fail :(

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 07:05:29 pm »
A .22 is a bit small for foxes, IMO - I think the most popular calibre is .22-250 rem. Not sure, but I think my neighbour uses his .243 most of the time for foxes.

Totally agree air rifle no good for fox, you'll have to go down the FAC route for this one... Where about are you? There's someone in our shooting club who has the right gun for the job if your not to far away

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 07:56:54 pm »
I know pest control people if you are not too far. Will pm you

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 06:18:46 pm »

Totally agree air rifle no good for fox, you'll have to go down the FAC route for this one... Where about are you? There's someone in our shooting club who has the right gun for the job if your not to far away

I'd meant a .22 round as opposed to a .22cal air rifle pellet. You can stop a fox with a .22 rifle (not air rifle), its just you need a pretty decent between the eyes shot.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 12:43:03 pm »
Why do you have no choice? i have no problem with popping off a few  :rant: rabbits or foxes if they are taking chickens but a lot can be done to deter foxes with adequate fencing and observations of activity, the gun can be the lazy option.
As the others say if you've never had any experience with guns use your brains you can't just get a gun and point it ::)  seen too many of that type on shoot days, townies who've never shot a thing in their life and expect to be able to bag pheasants ::)  give me strength!
Speak to your local gun club organisations like BASC or CLA can also advise.
Mandy :pig:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 08:46:43 pm »
I missed the bit about the occasional rabbit - in that case a .22 rimfire is probably your tool of choice. Were it me, I'd want a .17 for the rabbits and something bigger for the foxes (if you get a .243 you could do deer too). The thing about the .17 is that the noise it makes when it hits a rabbit seems to be quiet enough not to send the others scarpering, whereas the 'thunk' when one is hit by a .22 round does.

I wouldn't think you would get the ticket unless you were deemed competent. I have never been part of a shooting club or whatever, were I you I would make friends with someone who shoots foxes regularly - ie a 'keeper. The licensing officers like it if you have a mentor to show you the ropes.

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 09:58:24 am »
My OH own's and shoots regularly with Rimfire .17 and .22 and also shotgun.
His advise as some have mentioned is to contact initially the firearms department (local police station will tell you)for your area then he will visit you.
There are lots of things he will look at and concider (Quarry, backstops land layout, your competence etc etc etc) he will then tell you the type of gun that is required and can give advise on its storage.(type of cabinet, positioning securing to wall etc etc) The next step is to apply for your license. (thats another story if you go down the route)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 08:59:38 am »
Trefnantbach you don't mention what it is you want to protect from foxes. Problem with shooting them is that within a short time another one will move into the vacant territory and you have to start again. It's often better to protect your stock in some way making it difficult or impossible for foxy to get at them.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 10:01:38 pm »
Thats okay, bullets aren't that expensive. Just shoot the next one.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 05:14:24 am »
Guys, I am really quite distressed at this talk of getting a gun and shooting a fox.

It makes it sound as though anyone can pick up a shotgun (or .22 or whatever), point, pull and have a dead fox.

If you are going to shoot a living creature, I would hope that you are going to want to be completely sure that you will kill it outright 100% - and that if you wound it, you would have the wherewithall (dog and commitment) to track it down and dispatch it.

Have-a-go unskilled chicken owners should please, if they have a local hunt, first call in the experts - who do not ever leave a wounded fox.  (They may not catch it every time, but if it's wounded, it's a goner.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS