Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pygmy goats, de-horn or not  (Read 13839 times)

firemansam

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Staffordshire
pygmy goats, de-horn or not
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:38:53 pm »
I have had my 1st 3 pygmy goats running with our billy Percy.
they should be due around xmas.
What are your thoughts on horns? De horn or not.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: pygmy goats, de-horn or not
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:59:29 am »
All my Old English goats are horned, which is how the breed is kept. I much prefer this.

I'm replying just to give the alternative view because you'll get some views in due course which are so anti-horn you'd wonder how my goats and I are still in one piece  :goat:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:45:09 am »
I have 14 pygmy goats all of which are horned and I had a similar dilemma. I work with children of varying ages,(so lots of health and safety implications), youngest is 3 and was anxious about the children being injured with the horns, but to date, no injury has occured and I can't imagine them without horns now. I know of someone that has a couple of disbudded pygmys and in my opinion i thought they looked a bit odd. Also,if disbudded, how would they scratch their back? And would they be vulnerable if introduced to horned goats?
Good luck with the births
mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:56:02 am »
The reason dairy goats are disbudded is because it makes the everyday, twice milking handling a lot safer and easier for the handler. Also the size of their horns is quite different from pygmies' horns.
I wouldn't disbud pygmies - they are usually kept horned. If the parents are horned disbudding the kid(s) will put them at a disadvantage when arranging their herd hierarchies. While the hroons are still growing and they can fit their heads through mesh fences or similar you may have to think about a yoke/stick across their horns to stop them.
Re scratching - my goats just use the bottom of the hayrack or side of the pen to sratch their backs.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:43:49 am »
I have both horned and not horned. (not pygmy but still goats) and the horned girl has not given us any real issues to date (apart from pulling the fencing with her horns, little toad!) and once I had a horn up the rib cage (accidental not with malice).
I had our kid born last year disbudded and we now have scurs growing all the time which worry me as they seem to want to grow back into his head  :-\
I guess the rule would be not to mix horned and non horned so if you are going with horned keep them all that way and vice versa? Its a personal choice and has to be based on what you believe to be right and dependent on health and safety of little people etc  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 07:47:53 am »
Here are two of this year's kids modelling 'the headgear'. They only need to wear it a week or two and then the fascination for sticking your head through stock fencing seems to wear off  :D

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 08:08:19 am »
I am one of the anti horn brigade and. For my personal way of life would never have a horned goat
Just for the risk factor
7 of our goats are dairy and tbh there is a higher risk milking with horns. Snowdrop who hopefully now in kid used to threaten you when we first started milking her untill she got used to it. Thankfully she has no horns
Our dogs all go for a walk with us and the goats and quite often a dog will be butted if it gets in the way and we also have an american miniature horse that mixes with the goats
Having said that if your other pygmys are horned it would best to leave the horns on the kids
Graham

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:40:09 am »
Another for the keep them natural clan here. I have 13 pygmy's all horned and no issues, although I am aware of the horns if I have a kid on my lap for a cuddle. The adults are too heavy to sit on my knee so their horns are at knee height.

But I do take on board the fact if they were dairy goats the situation could be different.

So as it's pygmy's we're talking about - keep them.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 08:43:04 am »
Mine are dairy goats. But I don't have children around them, so I can just operate with horns in mind without the worry that someone else might not. As you can see, Ellie here has good horns - and she does occasionally threaten to tell me what she thinks about something with them. But hey  :)

(normally I milk inside, this was for the sake of the photo)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 08:50:44 am »
Jaykay - I love the fact you keep your goats as nature intended - it's nice when that is the norm for the breed.

Love the picture  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 12:04:27 pm »
Thanks
it's nice when that is the norm for the breed
Yes, I like that about them. The breed people are sane and the goats a very down-to-earth, get-on-with-life sort of breed, not too much fuss about mud, cold water to drink etc, though like most goats, if they can get you running around after them they will  ;)

richmorpygmygoats

• Joined Nov 2010
    • Show Qyality Pygmy Goats
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 06:51:52 pm »
I have to say horn's all the way. The are naturally horned and should keep them. There are lots of stories in the PGC where de budding has not gone to plan. From the mothers rejecting the kids etc.
They are born with horns they need to keep them!!!  :goat:
Breeder & Exhibitor of Pygmy Goats
   www.richmorpygmygoats.co.uk

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 10:27:33 pm »
When I had disbudding I had no problems...untill I started using vets.I think you'll find lots of pygmy goat owners use vets and thats where the problems come from. ;) Goats should be done when they are ready not when some jobs worth official says and pygmies have a differant horn growth so adjustments are needed then too.
  As for dragging from mum,carting to a surgery,handling by strangers with strange smells and then pushed back in with inexperianced mums again...no wonder there are problems!

firemansam

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 09:22:47 am »
thanks for all the replies.

Horns will be staying on then!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 10:46:42 am »
When I had disbudding I had no problems...untill I started using vets.I think you'll find lots of pygmy goat owners use vets and thats where the problems come from. ;) Goats should be done when they are ready not when some jobs worth official says and pygmies have a differant horn growth so adjustments are needed then too.
  As for dragging from mum,carting to a surgery,handling by strangers with strange smells and then pushed back in with inexperianced mums again...no wonder there are problems!

Just to re- iterate, it is against the law for anyone other than a vet to disbud (de horn). It is also illegal to do it without anaesthetic.

I do know plenty of people who get pygmies disbudded, and there is no difficulty with the mums not taking them back.
More difficult is the age thing- I do know people who tell white lies about how old the kids are so they aren't disbudded as early as the vets would like...
Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS