Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flying muscovey.  (Read 1950 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Flying muscovey.
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:34:13 pm »
We are trying to reduce the number of young ducks we had in June ( one a day) whilst building the adults a new duck house and secure area, within and just outside, a barn. What with other jobs I forget to clip the wings of the adults new feathers. As I was gathering her egg the mum took off - over her duck house, the chicken enclosure, the pigs field, a stream, 20 feeding limousin calves and into their field. Quite a sight!
2 years ago we forgot to clip the adults new feathers too. Two of them flew away but sadley we found bits of them in a field.
All clipped today except the large drake - I don't want to tackle him and he is probabley too big to fly anyway ( grumpy old thing).

Lesson learnt : watch out for birds flexing their wings and their new flight feathers.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Flying muscovey.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:32:24 pm »
going to keep muscovys next spring,,,, i suppose no need to clip drakes wings if hes got a load of girls to wasname  ;)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:07:14 pm »
I don't clip my two muskies wings as they don't get penned away at night. I reckon the can fly out of mr foxies way if need be ;D
Mine don't go off too far though, dunno why. Don't blame you for not doing the drake, I love my Daffyd to bits but I ain't picking him up for anything! Them claws hurt :o ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:59:54 pm »
Foxes - My ducks are in an enclosure about 4'6" high so the foxes we have heard last week could jump this. Maybe I should have not been so hasty in wing clipping as the one flew off just strolled back when she heard the grain bucket. Good point Colliwoman - I really must think before I act.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS