Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long do you keep heat lamps on?  (Read 6611 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
How long do you keep heat lamps on?
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:17:58 am »
I want to turn the piglets lamps off. One lot are now into week 5 and are in a lean to area.  They are not on heat during the day and I want to switch off at night.  They are looking super robust and chunky, so I imagine they will be ok huddling up together with more straw. Mum is coming out this weekend.

The others are Week 3 but in an entirely indoor area.  Again, they look great and often choose to go next to Mum in the straw piling up.

What do you reckon?  Big litters for both, so lots of body warmth.  I'm not jumping the gun am I?

Cheers all

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
Re: How long do you keep heat lamps on?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:31:07 am »
We usually switch the lamp off after about 2 weeks maybe a bit longer if it is winter. If they are fat and chunky they will be fine. A friend of mine who runs a rescue home took an in-pig sow in, she put it in the field with the intention of bringing it in nearer farrowing time. However it farrowed early and now she can't get near it. it has 7 healthy piglets, there is no shelter except the trees and the gorse and other bushes, but my god they look robust and in fantastic health. They have evaded the foxes and have made a den under the gorse bushes. Sometimes I think we molly coddle our pigs too much and they end up with all sorts of ills.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 11:41:57 am »
With me it depends on the weather in your area, the older ones should be fine with it off but the others i would still leave on at night and switch off during day at least for another week and then see how the weather goes.
HTh
mandy :pig:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:28:11 pm »
I switch off at week 3 if they're all doing well: by that age I'm less worried about them getting squashed by mum, so I'm happy to bung in loads of straw. I have left them on for longer when it's really cold - like -10 or lower - though I've seen 2 week old mangalitzas happily playing out in the snow at -19  8)
Our arks are insulated, which helps.
Mind you, my soft-hearted hubby has left the heat lamp on until week 6!

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:27:24 pm »
thanks....I'll switch off then. It is not so cold her in East Anglia and I will be doing them no favours by not allowing them to harden up before they go outside.  Must make room for the next batch  :D

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:33:38 pm »
I never use heat lamps they have a mother and each other to keep warm.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 06:48:43 pm »
No heat lamps here either.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:41:47 pm »
I used them to encourage the piglets to sleep in the creep, away from Mum so there would be less chance of her rolling on them.  They are pretty sturdy after a few weeks though, and certainly fast/strong enough to get out of her way...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS