Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fleece  (Read 16028 times)

arumba

• Joined Nov 2012
  • north east uk
Re: fleece
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 06:18:17 pm »
Hi Fi  :wave:

i have just joined Ravelry today weird you should mention it we must be in tune with each other lol  :thumbsup: anyway I havent clue how much to offer you for postage and shearing could you private message me at   arumba05@yahoo.co.uk Thanks again for your help  :thumbsup:

Hi Arumba and welcome- I have been pointed at Ravelry by the wise ones of this forum - its a maze, but wonderful!!!  I think you can buy fleece from some of the members there and you can seaarch for groups and fellow spinners local to you by postcode ;D
I have 15 raw Beulah fleeces from my sheep  - they are a mountain breed, but these first lamb fleeces seem quite fine to me (mind you I am a beginer too!!!), medium legth and some crimp (must try to classify more accurately!) .  I'm happy to sell on eor two - make me an offer for postage and a contribution to shearing if of interest....  And good luck!  Now Ive started I cant wait to try different breeds too (one of my neighbours has saved me some Alpaca, so looking forward to that!!!).  Cheers, Fi

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 07:32:56 pm »
Hi Sally

is that Bishop Aukland way? could you give me a postcode please looks  like I may meet you there lol I live in Stockton on Tees at the moment on a wednesday i look after my 2 granddaughters but that is going to change soon to a Tuesday so when it does I will come along
Thank You x

Yes, Stanhope is Co. Durham not Weardale, my mistake.  The Town Hall postcode is given as DL13 2TS but in fact DL13 2ND is nearer - it's on Front St (the main road, the A689) between Cross St and Cross Hill.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arumba

• Joined Nov 2012
  • north east uk
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 08:41:47 pm »
thanks Sally

ive found it on google maps is it held in the town hall? 

arumba

• Joined Nov 2012
  • north east uk
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 08:51:04 pm »
ok been new at this how many grams would i need to spin enough wool to make a mans jumper small size?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 10:08:37 pm »
 :wave: Hi and welcome.

You can also spin unwashed but carded fleece.  My ex and I used to have a spinning and weaving workshop and he preferred to spin unwashed fleece.  We then washed the spun wool.  You just have to make sure you washed your hands before eating as it tastes foul.   :roflanim:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 01:26:05 am »
ok been new at this how many grams would i need to spin enough wool to make a mans jumper small size?

That's one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions.   It depends on how thickly you spin, and to some extent on the breed of fleece you use.

I would say that you are best to spin too much and if there's some left over then knit a beanie hat with it.

We had a discussion recently about what weight of wool you need for a jumper and the answers varied dramatically.  Of course with handspun, if you haven't spun enough then you just do some more, as long as you have enough fleece or tops.   I would allow about 500gm for a small man's jumper, but I would probably spin 600 gm just to be on the safe side.  Aran patterns take a lot more than plain stocking stitch.  :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 01:37:56 am »
Hi Fleecewife  :wave:

Thank you for the the British Coloured Sheep Breeders Association site ive been on it will have a godd look later this evening  :thumbsup:

A really good way to buy fleece is through the British Coloured Sheep Breeders Association.  Sorry I don't have their web address to hand but just google them.  The BCSBA is an organisation set up specifically to put smallscale producers and buyers of fleece (not just coloured) and wool products in touch with eachother.  They have a strict code for the quality of fleece offered so you can avoid the risk of buying sight unseen as you necessarily have to do when buying via the internet.

Just off to put the tups in with the ewes for their annual funfest and I will come back to say hello  :) :wave:

I just had a look at the BCSBA website and am really disappointed that it hasn't been updated since 2009  ???    Does anyone know anything about what is happening with it?

Sorry arumba, it clearly is not currently a good place to buy fleece  :-[
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 06:57:42 am »
Yes, that's right, the Town Hall.

I think with handspun we normally talk in terms of yardage rather than weight - especially as beginners, when the thickness and denseness of our yarn varies quite a bit!  :D

When you wind your yarn off the bobbin onto the niddy noddy, count the full wraps of the niddy noddy.  Measure the length of the niddy noddy (between the arms), multiply that by 4 and add a couple of inches for the length of one wrap  :)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arumba

• Joined Nov 2012
  • north east uk
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 08:38:33 am »
thank you Fleecewife at least it gives me some idea how much yarn in weight to aim for I will always do extra to be on the safe side.  and yes I too was dissappointed a little with the wool web site xx

That's one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions.   It depends on how thickly you spin, and to some extent on the breed of fleece you use.

I would say that you are best to spin too much and if there's some left over then knit a beanie hat with it.

We had a discussion recently about what weight of wool you need for a jumper and the answers varied dramatically.  Of course with handspun, if you haven't spun enough then you just do some more, as long as you have enough fleece or tops.   I would allow about 500gm for a small man's jumper, but I would probably spin 600 gm just to be on the safe side.  Aran patterns take a lot more than plain stocking stitch.  :knit:

arumba

• Joined Nov 2012
  • north east uk
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 08:41:20 am »
Thanks Sally for all your help I might see you at the spinners group sometime lol

Yes, that's right, the Town Hall.

I think with handspun we normally talk in terms of yardage rather than weight - especially as beginners, when the thickness and denseness of our yarn varies quite a bit!  :D

When you wind your yarn off the bobbin onto the niddy noddy, count the full wraps of the niddy noddy.  Measure the length of the niddy noddy (between the arms), multiply that by 4 and add a couple of inches for the length of one wrap  :)

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 10:22:56 am »
Naturally I am in the prettiest bit  :innocent:
Well then we must be neighbours  :-J :eyelashes:  :D

I guess it depends how far you are prepared to travel - I travel up to 40 miles for my spin-ins.  The groups I go to are :
  • Carlisle knitters (weekly) - c. 15 miles
  • Penrith (Eden Valley) Guild (monthly) - 35 miles
  • Stanhope Spinners (weekly) - 40 miles
  • Gilsland Fibre Fridays (monthly) - 1 mile  :)
(I don't do the weekly meets every week, probably once a month.)

Three of us from around here go to Stanhope, one regularly (weekly); three people come 40 miles or more to Gilsland...

Sociable folks, spinners!  ;D

Much as I'd love to be sociable   :eyelashes:...umm actually as a total recluse that bit might be a bit of fib :innocent: 3 hours driving for me is a bit of a non-starter for anything regular (that's there and back).  :gloomy:

I might insinuate myself in to the local knittist group  when they are not looking :idea:, what ??? you mean they might notice a wheel in the corner getting fluff on the carpet?  :o

Arumba, have a lovely time if you go to a meeting and report back  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:49 am »
Much as I'd love to be sociable   :eyelashes:...umm actually as a total recluse that bit might be a bit of fib :innocent: 3 hours driving for me is a bit of a non-starter for anything regular (that's there and back).  :gloomy:

90 minutes?  I must have your location wrong then.

Anyways, I think I will be doing Stanhope to Richmond tomorrow afternoon so I'll be able to report back on that journey time and distance.  :)

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 11:15:45 am »
According to AA Autoroute anyway ..which with my driving is often reliable until I get lost   ;D

PM coming your way Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 11:27:17 am »
According to AA Autoroute anyway ..which with my driving is often reliable until I get lost   ;D

PM coming your way Sally
Well the PM arrived safely!  :D  and I've replied.   :fc: we'll meet up sometime soon  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 11:32:48 am »
Thanks Sally for all your help I might see you at the spinners group sometime lol

I think we can both bank on that  :thumbsup: :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS