Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding indoor barn chooks  (Read 1595 times)

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
Feeding indoor barn chooks
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:34:43 am »
Morning everyone ,
yesterday we lost our beautiful lavender araucana ( angel ) to yet another stoat attack ,two others had bee grabbed but managed to escape but remain very scared . This is the second chook in two weeks the stoat has killed . Not eaten , this blighter seems just to do it for sport . We made a decision to move the remaining flock into the outbuilding for the winter , we did this two years ago when knee deep in snow ( north east scotland ) . I had visions of the stoat picking off the birds one by one. They have plenty of room as the outbuilding was a former stable block . I am hoping now that  the food source outside has been removed the stoat may eventually clear off . Any suggestions as to what extra to feed the chooks now they're inside and not free ranging . I have only been giving them mixed corn and layers pellets , just to prevent them from loosing too much condition .    Many thanks for reading - I hate stoats ! :(

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Feeding indoor barn chooks
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:42:32 am »
Poor you, stoats are definitely one of the trickiest predators to stop. What a nightmare.  We had a youngster that took out some of our growers post harvest.  Just so damn quick.

Feed wise, I'd personally get them off the corn as they will not need a warmth boost now indoors. I'd be more tempted to introduce some greens in, very gradually - or else they get the runs!  Corn as a treat, toward the end of the day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS